"not a virus" virus in QBPro 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "not a virus" virus in QBPro 2010

I have a frustrating problem.... My Zone Alarms keeps detecting a virus in my QB Pro and is quarantining/deleting it. However, after it has done so QB will not load and I have to reinstall. I cannot post the exact virus name as it has been deleted. I can copy next time if I can't solve the issue. However, the name of the "virus" is - NOT A VIRUS - and is in the Win32 part.

Any suggestions anyone???? Tx

I haven't used Zone Alarm in a long time, so I don't remember exactly what its interface is like. But it should have a log of threats and/or actions that it takes, so you should be able to track down the name of the file. Then google the filename and see what it really is.

Are you using the latest update to ZA? QuickBooks does have some components that want to access the internet through your filewall, so if you are using an old version of ZA, maybe it is confusing that with unauthorized program behavior.
    Shannon Tucker
    email: tucker at accountingusers.com

Comment

I'm using the following ZoneAlarm with no difficulties, and I have QB 2002, 2007mc, 2008mc, 2009mc & 2010 on my computer.

ZoneAlarm version:9.2.057.000
      TrueVector version:9.2.057.000
      Driver version:9.2.035.000
      ZoneAlarm Browser Security 1.5.227.0
      ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner 1.5.53.114
      ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database 1.2.104.0
      ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database 04.080
      Bookkeepers are well balanced!

Comment

Thanks. ZA is the latest and up to date. You are correct that QB does access the internet from time to time and ZA asks if this is OK. The problem only comes when I do a virus scan and this one gets picked up. It has only started happening in the last 2 weeks - i.e. last 2 scans. I could certainly instruct ZA to ignore it but I don't want to till I discover what it is and so far I have not been able to do this. I will run a scan and, if it shows up again, copy the name and post it here

Comment

is the file detected "QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk"? That is the file that QB uses to access the internet.
          Also from Intuit:
          Overview

If you're using ZoneAlarm(R) by Check Point(R), you must configure this application to allow QuickBooks program and payroll updates. Internet security and personal firewall settings can affect how QuickBooks accesses payroll, online business services, merchant account services, and program updates. QuickBooks includes 2 files that must have incoming and outgoing access to the Internet:
          qbw32.exe (default location is C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks [year])
          qbupdate.exe (location is C:\Program Files\Common Files\ Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate)
          Last edited by Joe Williams; 09-01-2010, 02:21 AM.
          Joe Williams
          joewilliams@wavelinx.net
          Piedmont, Ok

Comment

Thanks. that may be the problem. just done a virus scan and the full name of the detected "virus is:-

not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.WnVNC-based.f

It is located in:-

Intuit/Quickbooks2010/Components/Support/RemoteAssist.exe

Comment

I have set ZA to ignore this file always. Hope that was the right thing to do. Anyone tells me that it really is a virus I hope I can change it back again.

Comment

Working...
              X