X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Payments(Check) NOT showing Bill Memo Information

Hello All,

Using QB Pro 2000.

For one of my clients, have decided to finally go totally accrual. They had been running A/R accural, Credit Cards accural, but bills was running cash, not A/P.

So last billing cycyle, 'turned on' A/P and entered all bills in the Vendor|Enter Bills, Vendor|Pay Bills side of things.

All worked fine except for one huge problem.

The checks [Bill Payments(Checks)] stubs only have one line of information that just states a summary of the vendor payment information.

Previously when just cutting checks (not using A/P), I could enter information in the Memo field of the check stub which I could use to show specific information that the vendor would use to process the payment. i.e.: Multiple line items denoting multiple houses electricity bills being paid by showing acccount numbers/house address in the memo field of each line.

With A/P method, I can't figure out how to get this information to print.

I loaded it on the Vendor|Enter Bills screen, but I can't get it to print ANYWHERE?

Does anyone know how I can get this information to print on the check stub of a bill payment?

I would even take just printing out the Enter Bills screen, at least I could send that along with the checks to help the vendors reference the information they need.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. My client is none to amused with A/P right now.

Thanks,
    Red

bill payments

When you enter the item through enter bills there should be a line on the entry screen that is a "reference" field. If you enter your information that you want to print on the check stub into that reference field, it will print on the checks when you print from pay bills screen.
    That is how my QBP99 and 2002 work so I assume it would be the same in 2000 version.

Comment

You should enter bills accorting to how they are sent to you.

If your vendor sends you a single bill with a reference number for $100 for three accounts, then there should be no reason you need to split that out on the payment. That is like firing back the details of a Credit Card statement to the Credit Card company.

OTOH, if they send you three seperate bills, then enter then into AP as individual transactions.
      John
      www.bigredconsulting.com

Comment

Clarifications apparently needed

Interesting responses.

Apparently I was not clear enough in stating my situation.

First, I did see and tried using the Ref. No. on the Vendor|Enter Bill screen.

However this is only 11 characters long. Possibly long enough for a short invoice number, but not long enough for anything else. I need to be able to information in as long as 25+ characters.

Further, the Ref. No. only shows up on the summary (1 Line) of the check/bill payment.

This does not address my primary problem.

Which gets to addressing the second reply to my original post.

I understand the point that was being made, but it does not address my client's specific needs.

They have multiple situations where one check/bill payment is made to a single vendor for multiple individual invoices.

The easiest example is utilities: electricity, gas, or water bills.

This client owns mutiple properties, each obviously with different addresses, and therefore different account numbers, and finally then each receiving individual bills.

In making this payment, I need to be able to specifically identify which monies are paying for what address/house.

As I originally posted, with a check (not bill-A/P), I could use the memo field of the check which would print out on the check stub this information in the memo field.

I am able to 'load' this same information in the memo field of the bill (Vendor|Enter Bills), I just can't get it to print anywhere.

Finally, I always load each invoice as a seperate check/bill, however some vendors, like mortgage companies, are not found of getting one check to pay for 15 different mortgages. I understand that is a different question, but it is in the same problem area.

Thanks for the feedback so far, am still VERY interested if anyone out there has experienced this same problem and come up with a fix.

Red.

Comment

There is no way to change the layout.
          RE:
          >
          The easiest example is utilities: electricity, gas, or water bills.
          This client owns mutiple properties, each obviously with different addresses, and therefore different account numbers, and finally then each receiving individual bills.
          <
          To get the detail, these bills need to be entered individually.

>
          As I originally posted, with a check (not bill-A/P), I could use the memo field of the check which would print out on the check stub this information in the memo field.

I am able to 'load' this same information in the memo field of the bill (Vendor|Enter Bills), I just can't get it to print anywhere.
          <

It won't print automatically. The only workaround is to print a Transaction History for the check. To do this, open a bill payment check and choose Reports | Transaction History. You'll need to add the memo column each time.

>
          Finally, I always load each invoice as a seperate check/bill, however some vendors, like mortgage companies, are not found of getting one check to pay for 15 different mortgages. I understand that is a different question, but it is in the same problem area.
          <

You can create one check for each bill but you have to manually check each one off then press Save & Nex at pay bills. Or, you could setup an individual Vendor for each properly.
          John
          www.bigredconsulting.com

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the information.

I was afraid that was what I was going to hear.

Concur with your assessment on cutting individual bills. Figured I would just have create 'sub-vendors' for ones that actually need individual checks.

As far as the actually issue of getting the memo field to print, what a pain in the butt.

I think the easiest method will be to just use a print-screen method to print out a copy of the Enter bills screen. I only have to do it for half a dozen or so vendors, still seems jakey.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Red

Comment

The Ref No field in QB2002 is 20 characters long. If that would do at a squeeze you might consider upgrading. There's quite a bit of other useful stuff in the newer versions, and QB2003 is out very shortly.

Comment

I am not sure if I have this exactly right. What you seem to be saying is that you could make the entries correctly on Checks, but not now on Bill Payments. Also that previously, you would write one check with as many splits as you required, each with the info you required. Now you have to make individual bill payments and you cannot get the info onto the check.
                If this is right, try this. Create a "Clearing" Bank account. (A dummy account). When you pay bills, pay from this account. Do not print the cheques. Now write a single check for the entire payment from the real bank account. Post against the "Clearing" account rather than to an expense account, with a transaction line for each of the cheques you wrote in the clearing account. Enter the details you need on each line. Print this check out. The Clearing account will post to the expense accounts and the real check account actually makes the payment.
                A bit of double work, but if I got you right, this should work.
                Or on the other hand, It all might seem a bit daft.
                John Gibson
                johngibson at ozbizsolutions.com.au

Comment

I hate it when I kill a conversation. This was going so well before I joined in. Was it that daft?
                  John Gibson
                  johngibson at ozbizsolutions.com.au

Comment

Hi John,

No, not at all.

I read your post, and I think that if I understood it, it should work.

The big thing for me is as you stated the probable double duty on the data entry side of it.

I 'back-doored' into the data entry for this client as it was-their book keeper split, and they looked at me and strongly requested as I was doing the QB consulting, that I might as well do the data entry.

Anyway, because of this, I do absolutely everything in my power to reduce the time I spend on data entry. With that, every minute I can save in some mode is the way I go.

So, I think the quickest way for me to accomplish due to the fact that I can SEE the information I want on the Vendor|Enter Bills screen, just can't print it out-still very curious to me that I can't print it out; is to just use a print screen utility for Windows, and just grab the part of the screen I want, and print it out.

Not as nice looking as the check stub out of QB. But it is just to help the vendors tell what money on a given line item is for what bill/house.

Thanks,
                    Red

Comment

Working...
                    X