Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taxing tax for vape products in British Columbia Canada Calculating GST on 20% PST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxing tax for vape products in British Columbia Canada Calculating GST on 20% PST

There are new tax laws in BC that increase the PST on Vape products to 20%. That is easy to do by creating a new tax code but they also want you to calculate the GST by taxing the PST.

"Generally, when GST is payable on a good on which PST is also payable, the PST amount is not included as consideration for the purposes of calculating the GST. However, with the 20% PST rate that will apply to vapour products, the PST amount will be included in the consideration for the purposes of calculating the GST."

As an example if the product costs $10, the current GST would be 5% so that would be 50c. The current PST at 7% would be 70c. Totaling $11.20 Both calculated on the original $10. Now the PST is 20% so that is $2.00 in PST and now the GST needs to be calculated on the original $10, plus the PST of $2, so total of $12 equaling 60c GST.

Anyone know how do you do this?

Thanks
    Matt

I didn't realize until after the above was posted that I may not have been using the current tax rates above. Just replace the tax rates in the above post with the current ones. The logic will be the same, although the effective rate may be different, but the procedures remain the same. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
    Lorin Browning, Ph. D.
    Fellow -- National Tax Practice Institute
    [email]lorin@lorinbrowning.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
    X