2004 W2 & W3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 W2 & W3

I just purchased QB Pro 2004 and a new feature lets you print W2 & W3 on plain white paper. I called the SSA and the Intuit version is acceptable, so we don't have to use the IRS forms that are pink. The only thing is that you have to print them on true laser printers...NOT INK. The forms print in black and white, and it is approved.

So, I had a client who had their last payroll on 9/30/04, and I wanted to get a jump on year-end by running their W2s and the W3. When I printed, the form that came out was dated for the 2003 tax year...not 2004! Does anyone know if this is because we're still in 2004 and it will automatically use 2004 after 12/31/04?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

The new forms are in the year end payroll update and are part of the download. If you want to print the forms early, you will have to order the preprinted forms directly from the IRS.
    Joey
    www.casdelraybeach.com
    Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

Thank You Joey

Thank you Joey...I appreciate your help. I figured that was probably the issue but thought I'd better ask.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Comment

Printing W-2's for 2004

The preprinted forms still need QuickBooks (Intuit) to update to the 2004 W-2 format. Waiting until yearend is extremely inconvenient. In previous years this was available much earlier in December.
        AccountAbility Solutions
        Brainerd MN

Comment

Last year, they were released earlier because they used the same format as the prior year. The IRS changed the format again for this year. Each time they do, it takes longer because the companies must change the programs then they have to wait until the IRS "approves" their form before they can download it to us.
          Joey
          www.casdelraybeach.com
          Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

I Agree

Thanks AccountAbility. Maybe this will change in the future.

Comment

Thanks Again Joey

That makes sense Joey. You're just a wealth of knowledge and info. I'm very grateful you are on this forum! Thanks for your insight.

Comment

For all you folks out there that are waiting, the update has been released with the year end forms for filing W-2's.
                Joey
                www.casdelraybeach.com
                Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

Thanks Joey

Joey:
                  I've always used disk delivery method in the past to do the updates. This is the first year I will be doing downloads, so I'm assuming that all we have to do is go to the QB website and download the most current update? Thanks for your help, as always.

Comment

Go to Employees, Get Updates and the program will download them directly into the company file.
                    Joey
                    www.casdelraybeach.com
                    Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

GEEZ

Joey:
                      I tried making this way harder than it was. I really appreciate your holding my hand with many of my questions. You seem to have a lot of patience and an abundance of answers. God will bless you greatly for your unselfish kindness you show to others. Do have a happy holiday season and know that you have touched the hearts of so many other people with your kindness. I hope you never change. You are awesome.
                      Mari

Comment

w-2's

If we have to use a laser printer only to print the W-2's on plain paper and we don't have a laser printer, then will the program (I have QBP 2004) give you a choice of plain paper printing or printing on preprinted forms?
                        Would like to have some of these year end things ironed out before I get to January....I just upgraded to 2004 from 2002 so I'm not aware of all the new features yet.
                        Linda

Comment

Yes, you will still get the option of how you want to print the forms. QuickBooks is not the forms police and it will print on whatever printer you have hooked to the system. The information about the laser printer is from the IRS regulations, not the program. Look at the instructions for the form(s) your self. They all say that they must be printed with a laser printer on blank paper of (some particular) weight (I forget right now) but the paper you purchase at office supply stores is fine. The important part is the inability to wash the ink off the page once it's printed. This is only done with a laser printer.
                          Even the preprinted forms need to be laser printed or typed so the employee cannot wash off the amounts and type in whatever wages and withholding amount they decide to use.
                          Joey
                          www.casdelraybeach.com
                          Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

For what it is worth, I have used dot matrix printers to print W-2's and the W-3 without any comment from the IRS. I will quote the instructions as follows:

"
                            Specific Instructions for Form W-2
                            How to complete Form W-2. Form W-2 is a six-part form. Please ensure that all copies are legible. Send Copy A to
                            the SSA; Copy 1 to your state, city, or local tax department; and Copies B, C, and 2 to your employee. Keep Copy D, and a copy of Form W-3, with your records for 4 years.

Type the entries on Form W-2 using black ink in 12-point Courier font, if possible. Because Copy A is read by machine, handwritten entries or the use of inks other than black to make entries on the form hinder processing by the SSA. Do not use script type, inverted font, italics, or dual case alpha characters. It is important that entries in the boxes do not cross one or more of the vertical or horizontal lines that separate the boxes. Please do not erase, whiteout, or strike over an entry. Make all dollar entries without the dollar sign and comma but with the decimal point (00000.00). Show the cents portion of the money amounts. If a box does not apply, leave it blank. "

The sentence says to type the entries using black ink in 12-point Courier font, if possible. It doesn't say that it is mandatory. And it is unclear to me that the entries have to be typed. Additionally, I have never submitted a typed 941, they have all been handwritten. The only thing I found in the instructions that are clear is that you need to stay in the boundaries of the boxes.

James.

Comment

I believe a dot matrix falls under the same category as a typewriter. It uses a printer cartridge or ribbon and is an impact type printer. So that doesn't really apply here. This is dealing with inkjets vs. laser printers which are altogether different. I don't believe you are using plain paper for the W-2 forms in a dot matrix printer (I hope not). That is the part that would not be acceptable in your case. It's the printing of the actual form, not the numbers on the form that would cause the problem then.
                              Joey
                              www.casdelraybeach.com
                              Certified Pro Advisor

Comment

Working...
                              X