Correct Chart of Accounts Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Chart of Accounts Name

So I am working with two checking accounts right now. I manage a bunch of airbnbs for owners. I have an escrow account and another operations account where I make payments to employees, vendors, and owners. I transfer money from my escrow account to the operations account in order to do this. Now, what would I call al the deposits from my escrow account to the operations account? What category and chart of accounts name?

The transfer from one bank account to another is recorded using only Balance Sheet accounts. There is neither an expense to record nor is there income to recognize.

To illustrate: Suppose you have at least the following two accounts in your Chart of Accounts Bank type of accounts
    • 1005 Operations Bank Account
    • 1010 Escrow Account
    If the accounts are in the same bank and you can make transfers on-line, record the transaction using a general journal entry with a credit entry of $5,000 to bank account 1005 and a debit entry of $5,000 to bank account 1010.

Note: A credit entry decreases the balance in a balance sheet account. A debit entry increases the balance in a balance sheet account.

To make a General Journal entry, click on Company on the top or side Menu Bar. Scroll down to select "Make a general journal entries".

If the accounts are not in the same bank or you cannot make transfers on-line, add a new Bank type account to the Chart of Accounts:
    • 1015 Bank Transfers
    In QuickBooks write a check to your company with the "Expense" being to1015 Bank Transfer account. Make a deposit slip to account 1010 Escrow Account with the credit to the 1015 Transfer Account.
    Lorin Browning, Ph. D.
    Fellow -- National Tax Practice Institute

Comment

Okay! Sounds great. Also, when I have to review these previous transfers, what do I categorize them as? Because they have to be put somewhere, and I am not sure where to put these transfers.

Comment

Unless I am missing something, you categorize them as Bank Transfers. They do not show up as either Income nor as Expense.
        Lorin Browning, Ph. D.
        Fellow -- National Tax Practice Institute

Comment

Working...
        X