Disaster Recovery and questions about Quickbook files in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaster Recovery and questions about Quickbook files in general

Hi I am new to the forum and to Quickbooks and looking for guidance. I use Desktop Pro 2018. I have an unrecoverable error in my company file. I have an older copy of this file saved from a month ago. I also backup my data files regularly. Can I use the older copy of my company file and restore to my lastest data file to get up and running. There doesn't seem to be much info on the web about the technical aspects of how quickbook files work. If anyone can guide me, I would be most grateful.

use the menu file>open or restore and pick restore, then browse to the location of a back up
    do that for as many back up files as you have until you find one that does not have the error. From that point you have to re-enter transactions

Comment

I'm confused. My company file is corrupt but doesn't my data file contain the latest transactions? Why can't I open a good (but older) company file and then retore using my latest data file?

Comment

restore is an overwrite, it holds transactions that were entered as of the date of the restore

Comment

Originally posted by Rustler View Post
          restore is an overwrite, it holds transactions that were entered as of the date of the restore
          Which is why you backup often and do test restores to a "DUPE" file fairly regularly to insure your backups are OK.
          Colorado Springs and Eastern Washington
          QB Pro 2018 used for two farms and personal

Comment

OK - Thank you so much for your help!

Comment

Recover recent transactions using . QBW. adr and . TLG. adr files
              Create a new folder on your Desktop named QBTest.
              Open the folder where the company file is saved look for the QuickBooksAutoDataRecovery folder. ...
              Look for the .TLG.adr and .QBW.adr files. ...
              Copy the . ...
              On your QBTest folder, remove the . ...
              Open QuickBooks.

Comment

Working...
              X