Fixing Payroll Liabilities Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Payroll Liabilities Issues

I need advice on how to go about fixing a large amount of errors in multiple payroll liability accounts. I am working in Enterprise 2017 desktop and multiple people have over the course of time made the mistake by either using the "pay bills" or "write checks" options instead of using the correct way of issuing payment on insurances and S&U taxes. It is a giant mess! I read that I need to go back and delete the checks and bill payments and then I can simply re-issue payment, however the steps and the amount of errors involved hold me back from doing this - I really would like that to be my last ditch effort, I don't want open the proverbial can of worms. I was thinking of making an adjustment covering the year in each of the liability accounts and I feel comfortable doing this for the insurances but not for the S&U tax. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this issue on a large scale if so, what did you do to fix. Any suggestions on how to fix this mess would be greatly appreciated.

Well since no one was able to give advice on this topic I just wanted to update anyone who read my question. I actually ended up deleting the incorrect transactions and re-doing each monthly transaction. This took a lot of time however it was the cleanest and best way to achieve my end goal. If you need to do major cleaning of errors such as I had I would strong recommend doing the following BEFORE you delete anything: back-up your file, print off any account that is affected by the change, make sure you have correct account types and names, have a record outside of QB of any transactions made with State entities (specifically with S&U tax) and/or vendors and thoroughly investigate what and where your errors exist, basically know what needs to be replaced once it is deleted. Once all that was done I began with undoing the bank reconciliations first, then going in and deleting all the "checks written", all the "bill payments" made and in my case I actually had to delete some correct liability payments because they were caught in between erroneously made payments. In my case I have to go back 16 months. As soon as I deleted the items I needed to delete I simply recreated all my liability payments the correct way, for instance, by using the sale tax liability feature. I systematically worked on one month at a time by creating the liability payment then reconciling the bank account. I had little to no problems and once everything was re-created the correct way, my liability accounts were correct and clean. I hope if you are reading this you never have to do any of this, because it is just time consuming and tedious.

Comment

Well since no one was able to give advice on this topic I just wanted to update anyone who read my question. I actually ended up deleting the incorrect transactions and re-doing each monthly transaction. This took a lot of time however it was the cleanest and best way to achieve my end goal. If you need to do major cleaning of errors such as I had I would strong recommend doing the following BEFORE you delete anything: back-up your file, print off any account that is affected by the change, make sure you have correct account types and names, have a record outside of QB of any transactions made with State entities (specifically with S&U tax) and/or vendors and thoroughly investigate what and where your errors exist, basically know what needs to be replaced once it is deleted. Once all that was done I began with undoing the bank reconciliations first, then going in and deleting all the "checks written", all the "bill payments" made and in my case I actually had to delete some correct liability payments because they were caught in between erroneously made payments. In my case I have to go back 16 months. As soon as I deleted the items I needed to delete I simply recreated all my liability payments the correct way, for instance, by using the sale tax liability feature. I systematically worked on one month at a time by creating the liability payment then reconciling the bank account. I had little to no problems and once everything was re-created the correct way, my liability accounts were correct and clean. I hope if you are reading this you never have to do any of this, because it is just time consuming and tedious.

Comment

Go to Employees menu and select Payroll Taxes and Liabilities then Adjust Payroll Liabilities.
        Select the Previous Adjustment button until you find the adjustment affecting the report.
        Select the Accounts Affected button.
        Choose Affect liability and expense accounts and then select OK.

Comment

Working...
        X