Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to handle a fund that is both an expense item and receives designated donations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to handle a fund that is both an expense item and receives designated donations?

Using QuickBooks Premier for Non-Profits

I am the treasurer for our denomination's regional area (Eastern Pennsylvania).

I am still trying to get everything up and running. I have set up several Classes: Unrestricted Admin, Church Planting, etc. My Balance Sheet by class seems to be working very well. I still need to do some things to get the P & L Statement to look right.

The challenge is that we have several committees, many of which have their own budget line item: Church Planting, Church Health, etc. I merely have to show each committee's expenses compared with their budget. This all works fine. The problem comes up when I have many churches donating directly to the Church Planting Fund which is supposed to be reflected in the Church Planting committee now having additional money to spend in their budget. I had tried adding the additional funds to their expense account, but that seemed to hide both the monies already spent as well as tracking the extra donations that have come in.

Can anyone give me some advice on what is a good way to handle this?

Thanks in advance!

A donation is income, and should be booked that way. The restricted funds for the planting committee should be held in its own bank account, where you deposit the donation received. Then the bank account will show funds on hand, and the expense accounts will show what was spent

Comment

Working...
    X