Sales Tax Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sales Tax Report

I am going to try and explain this the best I can.

Right now we are using the class section to differentiate between retail and wholesale sales. Using this function makes it very easy to run a report to access what we need to see for sales tax totals. Unfortunately our company is growing and we want to use a new shipping and website integration programs (Shipstation and Connex). Connex needs to use the class function to access QuickBooks. So to my actual question...
    Is there a way to run this report with as high of detail as using the class function? We have customized our invoice to add a dropdown to specify if that invoice is retail or wholesale, but have not been able to figure out how to customize a report to meet our needs.

Our billing and accountant do not want to move to online so that is out of the question.

Thanks in advance!

I can think of two methods that may be easier for reporting and invoicing purposes:

Use Sales Tax Items. Of course, you would have to turn on sales tax and have an item for each location, with a separate item for each tax rate for each location. Notice that there are already multiple sales tax reports already in QuickBooks. This is for reporting sales tax collected by the company and which needs to be remitted to the appropriate taxing agency.

Use a separate accounts in your chart of accounts for each sales tax rate and taxing location. I deal mostly with not-for-profits which do not change sales tax but only file return to get refunds on sales tax paid within the state. There are multiple rates for each county and we have to identify the county by rate also. Although I think this could easily be adapted for those entities that charge sales tax. You reports in this case would be filtered to use only those accounts in the sales tax section of your chart of accounts. This is for reporting sales tax paid by the company for which we are applying for a refund.

If I had to choose between these two options, I would base my choice on the number of sales tax items compared with sales tax accounts, selecting the option with the smaller number of entities.

I find that either of these two reporting options will give more "elegant" reports that you get using the Class tool. I don't see how you can get line items for sales tax on your invoices using the Class tool -- but that may be because I haven't figured out how to do so.

If all of your sales are from one location using a limited amount of tax rates, I would suggest the sales tax item report. There's no need to invent what QuickBooks has already given you.
    Last edited by Lorin Browning; 03-12-2019, 01:33 AM.
    Lorin Browning, Ph. D.
    Fellow -- National Tax Practice Institute

Comment

Retail/Wholsale Report

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what my billing/account used the class function for. We separate each invoice into four different categories
      Retail
      Retail in Washington
      Wholesale
      Wholesale in Washington
      So we added a drop down on our invoice to specify which category that invoice falls under. As you can see in my attachment the class is Wholesale and we added CustType and it is Wholesale. I also added a picture of what our report looks like while using class to filter. So is there a way to filter each customer by each category with a total.

Thanks,

Mitch
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X