Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 03-30-2004, 02:22 PM

Unhappy Manual Payroll Setup

Hi,
I am trying to set up payroll manually in QB Pro 5.0 for Mac. We have only one employee, who I have added to the Employee List. Where do I go from here?
Thank you!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:18 PM

I don't know about the Mac version. In the Windows one you have to tell it you are doing manual payroll before you can. Perahps if you click on Help at the top menu bar and then on Help & Support and look under the payroll section it will tell you how. It's different in each version as to how to turn this on. Your first want to turn the payroll feature on. Then, here's how to do it in Windows for versions 2003 and 2004:
Title Manually calculating payroll
KB ID#: 128909
Categories: Payroll

Question: How do I manually calculate my payroll? Version 2003

Possible
Cause: QuickBooks requires subscription to a payroll service to automatically calculate payroll taxes.

Answer: If you choose not to use one of the QuickBooks payroll services, follow the steps below to manually calculate payroll:

From the QuickBooks Employees menu, choose Payroll Services, and then choose Set Up Payroll.
Click the Choose a payroll option link.
Next to the sentence "If you don't want to use an Intuit Payroll Service, you can still use QuickBooks to prepare your payroll," click Learn more.
Click I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes.
Click Continue and QuickBooks will guide you through setting up your payroll information.
From now on, each time you create a paycheck, you will need to manually input taxes and other payroll information.

QB 2004::

If you prefer to calculate payroll manually, QuickBooks will enter zeros in place of tax calculations on each paycheck you create. You will not be able to process any payroll forms through QuickBooks (for example, 940s, 941s, or W-2s), however, all other functionality, such as reporting, will be available.

To manually calculate payroll:

Make sure that the Payroll feature is active:
From the QuickBooks Edit menu, choose Preferences.
Scroll down the left side of the window and click the Payroll & Employees icon.
Click the Company Preferences tab.
Select Full Payroll, and then click OK.
From the Employees menu, choose Payroll Services, and then choose Set Up Payroll.
Click the Choose a payroll option link.
Next to the sentence "If you donít want to use an Intuit Payroll Service, you can still use QuickBooks to prepare your payroll" (near the bottom of the window), click Learn more.
Click the To calculate payroll taxes manually link and read the displayed information. (If you would like to print the information, click the Print this page link.)
Click I choose to manually calculate payroll taxes.
Click Continue and QuickBooks will guide you through setting up the rest of your payroll information, including employees and payroll items.
Each time you create a paycheck, manually input taxes and other payroll information by replacing the zeros QuickBooks enters with your manual calculations.

Who knows what the MAC version requires. They try to make it as hard as they can so no one will do this. But if you can find that setting and turn on the manual payroll then QB should have set up the payroll accounts you need when you turned on the payroll funtion. You will use it just like you had the payroll tax subscription and all functions will work just fine. It's just that when you get to the Create Paychecks function the payroll taxes will not fill in and you will have to manually enter them. And, of course, do all the payroll taxes yourself - and forms, etc.