Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 12-02-2003, 11:18 AM

payroll took out federal withholding - how to remove

When one of my clients was processing payroll, federal withholding was taken from one of his employees, when it should not have been. Somehow, his exemptions went from 2 to 0. Of course, they have no idea how this happened.

We want to give him this withholding back, but it won't let us put it back into his pay. I tried to edit his paycheck, and make federal withholding a +$75, but it keeps putting it back to a negative, and withholding more.

Any ideas on how to fix? I couldn't come up with anything through my search of the help menus.

Thanks!!!!

Colleen
Old 12-02-2003, 08:38 PM

Question. Has the employee accepted the check and cashed it?

There is no way for the exemptions to change on their own. Sounds like someone may have been in there.

If the check has not been issued, void it and issue a new one. This would straighten everything out.

If it has been accepted, you could add the adjustment to their next check, but would need to make sure that it is after taxes to avoid double tax.

This would be a start. I have another idea, but only as a last resort.

Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 11:18 AM

federal tax

Since it is a client, I do not know who went in and changed the exemptions. Of course, no one says they did it.

The employee has cashed the check. My problem is adjusting the actual payroll to show that no federal tax has been withheld. We don't want it to show up on the W-2, if we reimburse him for it.

It won't let me adjust his ytd payroll taxes. I thought about adjusting the pay where it was taken out, then just writing him a check for that amount, but that will screw up my client as he tries to do his bank rec, because it will no longer match.

What was your other idea????

Thanks for your help!

Colleen
Old 12-03-2003, 12:05 PM

You can go into Adjust payroll liabilities and fix this on the employee. 1. click employee 2. choose employee. 3. pick federal withholding 4. minus and amount.

Then you can write a check.

Your only other bridge is to explain for reconciliation.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:15 PM

Thanks. That is what I will do.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:17 PM

Its probably too late to answer, but when this happened to me, I had the client set up an employee advance payroll item and advance account, zeroed the fed w/h and entered a negative employee advance so the check amount was correct. On the next pay, I had the employee paid back. That way the fed liability was correct and the employee got their money back. Had I known earlier, the employer could have paid the employee on a general check vs payroll and just posted to the advance account.