Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 02-03-2002, 12:02 PM

Exclamation POSSIBLE PROGRAM BUG - Basic Payroll in NJ

POSSIBLE PROGRAM BUG - Basic Payroll in NJ
I use Quickbooks Pro 2001, and have a current subscription to Basic Payroll. I live in NJ.
The tax item for "NJ - WF/SWF Company" is NOT appearing in paychecks or in tax liability reports. I have re-run payroll setup, and the item shows on the state screen, showing both company and employee contribution rates.
I can adjust liabilities when I pay my taxes and add the item -- but it does not 'carry over' to the next month. I have submitted a 'feedback' report on the Quickbooks website, but I have no idea if Intuit will read/respond to it. I posted here because it may not be an isolated issue. Tax calculations are DEFINITELY affected, to the tune of 0.118% of gross wages.
I am curious as to whether this is an isolated problem (mine) or if the problem exists throughout NJ.
Old 02-08-2002, 06:01 PM

Angry taxes

I am having the same problem all my tax calculations fore year 2000 were off. I am in
California so.
Old 02-11-2002, 02:53 AM

Workaround offered

I posted this problem in the newsgroup alt.comp.software.financial.quickbooks

I received the following 'workaround' from Andrea J.
I am VERY GRATEFUL to her for her help. The steps she gave me did work for my situation.
In my opinion it does not absolve Intuit from company responsibility. The tax was supposed to be set up when I set up and signed up for my "Basic Payroll" subscription.

"Lisa, it sounds as though you have to add the payroll item for NJ -WF/SWF Company, the company portion of NJ - WF/SWF, to the Other tab of every employee subject to this tax. That is how you indicate the employee is subject to this tax on paychecks.

QuickBooks has a self-adjustment feature for many straight-percentage taxes, and NJ - WF/SWF Company may be one of these taxes (I'm not sure). If it is, then on the first paycheck you write an employee after adding this new tax, the amount of tax on the paycheck will bring the YTD total to the correct amount (YTD wages subject to tax times tax percentage). You won't have to adjust old paychecks.

If you entered manual liability adjustments for the tax for your
company as a whole but not for individual employees, you may have to delete those manual adjustments. You can check your payroll liability reports and payroll summary reports to see that the total tax YTD is now correct.

Andrea"