Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Quickbooks Pro 2012 and Windows 8

I recently upgraded my computers to Windows 8. I have QB Pro 2012 installed and shared between two computers. Since the upgrade I can't access the file on the main computer.
When I try to open it, I get "Cannot communicate with company file".
If I run the QB Connection Diagnostic tool while the file is open on the other PC, I get "File is in use".
If the file is closed on the other computer, sometimes it will open on my 2nd computer - and then we can open it on the first computer - and use from both places, but within a short time, QB freezes up.
I called support - they said QB 2012 isn't supported on Windows 8 (although their website does say it's compatible). And that unless I pay to upgrade to QB 2013 - I have to pay for support.
*sigh*

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Amber
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM

move to the cloud?

honestly I don't know what to tell you. I think you're stuck either upgrading or looking at a hosted service to avoid these problems in the future.

computer upkeep and IT management is so stinkin' expensive and frustrating. (which is one of my favorite things about the cloud..)

good luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 PM

But Quickbooks Website does say that Windows 8 is compatible with QB 2012.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM

QB with Windows 8

Amber,

I run QB on a Mac using a virtual machine which runs Windows 7. I tried Windows 8 which was a nightmare. I would suggest using Windows 7, but not the Home Version, use Professional. With the understanding you do not or may not want to reinstall your operating system; you can create a virtual computer which runs in your current OS and install QB there. It will connect to other computers in a NETWORK DOMAIN as as well as a group network like "Home".

Go to the Microsoft Knowledge base and look up Virtual Computer, I believe it is still a free download. Windows 8 just isnt cutting it for the business environment. NOT A FAN. Good Luck

Jeff