Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM

Clearing reconcile list???

I would like to do some housekeeping and can't find any way to delete entries from the reconcile list that are years old!!

Any ideas would be welcomed!!

Thanks... Bummie
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 PM

If you are talking about outstanding items on your bank reconciliation which are years old, then the only way to remove them is to enter a journal entry in the current year off-setting the entry to the original g/l account which was charged.

Note:-
A part of doing a bank reconciliation is to question any uncleared item each time you preform a bank rec. And removing in a timely manner any item which should not be there.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 AM

Newbie here :)

Hi i am one the newbie here

My name is Donald Reese

Hoping to hear a lot from you guys!

Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:22 AM

Question: Have the transactions cleared the bank (is the balance of the register correct)?
The answer to the question makes BIG difference on "how to clear" the transactions in reconcile.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes the entries have cleared the bank. Some of these are years old and I have just been ignoring them..... but they are starting to pile up!!!

I know the reconciliation should be done in a timely matter ..... but bookeeping is my fifth or sixth job so it kinda takes the back burner. Really I only do it when forced to.... taxes, etc!! I must try to be more diligent!!
Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the entries have cleared the bank. Some of these are years old and I have just been ignoring them..... but they are starting to pile up!!!

I know the reconciliation should be done in a timely matter ..... but bookeeping is my fifth or sixth job so it kinda takes the back burner. Really I only do it when forced to.... taxes, etc!! I must try to be more diligent!!
If these have cleared the bank, how are they on the recon list, or are you saying you have not been going thru reconcile?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojhl2 View Post
If these have cleared the bank, how are they on the recon list, or are you saying you have not been going thru reconcile?
Yes you are correct. Some I used reconcile.... some I did not. But they have all cleared the bank and I would like to get them off my list. Some are 6 or 7 years old. I don't know how I missed them at the time... all I know is they are still there on the list.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 PM

OK, something must be wrong with how you are reconciling. If they cleared the bank and you did not mark them as cleared how could the balances have been correct.

Joe will be on later and he has a way to get get you started again as he has posted this solution before.

This statement is inconsistent.
Yes you are correct. Some I used reconcile.... some I did not. But they have all cleared the bank and I would like to get them off my list. Some are 6 or 7 years old. I don't know how I missed them at the time... all I know is they are still there on the list.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:10 AM

To reconcile the old transactions that have cleared the bank, set the Statement Date to 4/1/2010 and leave the Ending Balance 0.00. Click Next and check all of the old checks and deposits.
Note the Cleared Balance and then click Leave to go to the first screen.
Enter the Cleared Balance in the Ending Balance and click Next then finish reconcile.
This will mark all of those transactions as reconciled and the Beginning Balance on the next reconcile will be correct but you MUST set the Statement Date to the correct date.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM

Thanks Joe. Things are back now to where they should be. I must be more diligent!!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM

Hi Joe Williams,

I must not understand your instructions to clear old transactions. When I follow your steps, the old transactions do reconcile out with a $0 difference but then when I try to do my monthly reconcilation, my Beginning Balance is the 'Cleared Balance' from the old transactions rather than the beginning balance on my bank statement. What am I missing?
Old 07-06-2012, 04:25 AM

QuickBooks reconcile uses the transactions that have been reconciled through the QuickBooks reconcile. These transactions have a check-nark or X in the Clr column in the bank register.
To reconcile OLD transactions, in the first screen of reconcile, enter the date before the date on the current statement and leave the Ending Balance 0.00. Click Next and check ALL of the old transactions that have cleared the bank.
Note the Cleared Balance and backup to the first screen and enter that balance in the Ending Balance. Click Next and Complete reconcile.

This will mark all of the check/selected transactions as reconciles and on the next reconcile the Beginning Balance will match the bank statement.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:48 AM

i dont understand how your begining balance the next month is corrent by using this procedure. i would suggest that you enter a deposit for the total of the checks outstanding and code it to miscellaneous income. clear all the checks and this deposit to reconcile. my assumption is that you have entered them twice in previous years. This is the only way you could have cleared them and still reconciled. Or, you were out of balance and told the system to reconcile now. Either way you ended up doubling your expenses in the year in question. the proper way to correct is to pick them up as income in the current year. i wouldnt try to figure out exactly what expense account each was posted to over 7 years ago. just put the deposit to misc income and be done with it. This way your current margins are still correct.

Senior Accountant
Quickbooks Proadvisor
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 AM

My assumption is that the checks and deposits are entered and the register balance is correct, but the reconcile was done incorrectly. Then by reconciling all of the OLD transactions the reconciled balance will then match the bank's cleared balance.
If there is a difference the correcting amount could be assigned to an Other Income or Other Expense account named "Correcting Account" since the income for the old accounts have been accounted for in the old tax returns.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Hi Joe,

was just reading through the forum and used some of the advice that you posted.
Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the good work.

I'm new to this forum and will hopefully be posting more as I become more knowledgeable with quickbooks.

Cheers,

Ron