Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to GinaLeigh
Question Installing Multiple versions of QB on same computer

Hi,

I am working on a clients version of QB pro 2001 and just got another client that is using QB Pro 2003. If I install the 2003 on my system, will that change my 2001 version. Do I have to install in another area of my computer. For instance:

My 2001 ver is in Programs/Intuit

so this 2003 should go where?

I will backup my current client info, but just wanted to know the correct procedure. I am using Windows XP.

Thanks,

Gina
Old 07-08-2003, 09:46 AM

I have recently put QB2003 versions onto a system that was running 5.

I never use the Intuit default but name them QB5 QB2003 etc and never over write the old one either so I can refer back to it if needed. Those upgrades don't always go so smoothly and then reloading to an old version is a right pain.

I also store my data files outside the intuit folder so I know where they are and what is happening to them.

I am able to have QB5 and QB2003 running at the same time without any problems but you would need to check this if perhaps running 2 more recent versions alonside each other.

That said I have vague memories of having read about this already on the forum and people having problems with it - it may be worth scanning back over previous entries.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 AM

The other user is correct. You need to do the Custom Install instead of the default. Make sure that you have all the program updates for the older version and it's up-to-date first. Then install the newer program into a separate folder on the hard drive. I install all of mine directly on the root C drive because it's quicker to select them on the screens where you have to use the drop down arrows to locate the program folders. If you install into the Program Folders/Intuit/etc., you have to click down through several screens each time you open files or backup files. I call mine QB60, QB99, QB2002, etc. Then I set up a separate folder for each version's client company files so they are not in the main program folder and have a different folder for each version's clients so they are not opened with the wrong version of the program. If you open the file in a newer version, it will convert the file and the client won't be able to restore his own file when you return it to him. I have all versions, since 6.0 on one machine and they work fine. All are on Windows XP.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to GinaLeigh
Thanks, I will try the suggestions and let you know what happens.

Gina
Old 07-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Head Flunky

Send a message via AIM to crazysonoran Send a message via Yahoo to crazysonoran
I have 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 Basic, Pro, Premiere Accountant, Premiere Contractor, Premiere Healthcare and Premiere Non-Profit all on one system and they work fine. Oh. forgot, even have the latest version of Enterprise installed here too. So you can do it if you want, just install them in different directories.

Dave