Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 05:42 PM

Question Can't Resore from Local Backup File

Howdy -

When I try to restore a Quick Books 2010 Pro local back up file I follow this guide -

1.If your backup file is not on your hard disk - It Is on my Desk Top as a .QBB file

2.In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and click Open or Restore Company to open the restore wizard. - OK

3.Click Restore a backup copy (.qbb) and then click Next. - OK

4.Click Local backup and then click Next. The Open Backup Copy window opens. - OK

5.If needed, click the Look in drop-down arrow and navigate to the location where you saved the backup file, which has a .qbb file extension (for example, mycompanyname.qbb). -OK

6.Select the backup file and click Open. - OK

7.Click Next.- OK

8.If needed, click the Save in drop-down arrow and navigate to the location where you want to restore the backup file.

When I do this I go to C: then Program Files to Intuit to Quick Books 2010 - I than do no get a company to open I Get 4 choices - Components, Convert03, Data or Help Resourceses - what am I doing wrong. With only these 4 choices I can not go on to Number 9.

9.Select the backup file, click Save, and respond to any
messages QuickBooks may display
Old 07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Your company backup could be anywhere on your hard drive. Find all of them by clicking Windows Start / Search / *.QBB

That will search for all QuickBooks backup files. Hopefully it will find the one you are looking for. Then when you go through the steps to restore a backup, navigate to the correct folder on your hard drive and QB should see it there.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:28 AM

When you navigate to "C:\ Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010" double click the QBW.EXE file and open QB using one of the sample files. Noe you should be able to restore your backup.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks Guys - I'll give it a try this pm and let you know what happens - For Info Only I have my backup copy saved to the desk top I just can not get to the current quickbooks file to restore it too.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Restoring QB

Howdy - Tried it and still no go. When I navigate to "C:\ Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2010" all that comes up is: Components, Convert03, Data or Help Resourceses no company file to choose from. I have 2 co. that I use QB for and I can not get either one to restore. I get the same results wheather I start with an open or closed co file. Any other sugestions please.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin46 View Post
Howdy -

When I do this I go to C: then Program Files to Intuit to Quick Books 2010 - I than do no get a company to open I Get 4 choices - Components, Convert03, Data or Help Resourceses - what am I doing wrong. With only these 4 choices I can not go on to Number 9.
What you are getting at this point is what is already at that location. It is your responsibility to input What ever you wish to name the new Company file.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM

Hold down the Ctrl key and keep it down when you double click the QuickBooks shortcut. Keep it down until QB opens and you get No Company Open screen. Go to File and Restore and navigate to the Desktop and choose the backup there. When it ask/shows the file location it is for the restored data so set the location to My Documents and click OK. It should restore the data.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks - I'll try to restore this PM and let you know.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 AM

Talking Dode

That got it - thanks for all the help - 5 years of data was not something I wanted to loose.

Thanks again,

Paladin46
Old 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Glad to help.