Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 AM

How can I avoid duplicate receipt numbers / check numbers?

I have finding it frustrating to go back a couple of months to see that my un-deposited check donations are really just doubles! Is there any way to have QB ask me if I want to enter this check which bears the same number as one already in the system (under the same customer, no less)?

On the same thread, how do I get QB to refuse to assign receipt numbers which have already been assigned? I come across this problem if for example I go back to manually number a receipt and then forget to change the number of the NEXT receipt back to continue from where I left off. If I am lucky, I will discover this issue 50/60 donations down the line and then will have to manually change those! Seems a bit dangerous to allow duplicates of the receipt number!

Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 PM

I could be wrong but I get the impression that you are downloading your bank transactions, which are causing most of your duplication problems.

The problems with downloading bank transaction, is widely covered in this forum.

Basically downloading banking transactions is not the proper way of doing bookkeeping.
The number one rule in bookkeeping is to record each transaction as soon as possible after the transaction has happened. This puts you in control of your books and allows you to verify that all is correct by doing a manual bank reconciliation.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:35 AM

Thanks. I do not download bank statements since I prefer to do things manually and reconcile every month. Actually, I was referring to when I input check numbers of donation made to my organization. Often, the check will be copied twice for various reasons, and this lends itself to being inserted twice.

As for duplicate receipt numbers, I cannot understand how QB allows this... Is there any solution to this?

I was imagining that there was some way to implement some sort of requirement in the field that it would not allow a duplicate to one already in the system.

Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 AM

There is a preference for "warning about... numbers." (checks, invoices, and bills). QB does not warn about duplicate check numbers on Receive Payment transactions. The number on invoices and Sales Receipts are incremented based on the transactions already entered.
What transaction are you using to enter the "duplicate receipts"?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 AM

In most instances, the receipt number does in fact move up in increments of 1. However, if I had to, for instance, go back to correct a receipt number (perhaps to fill in a missing receipt number, perhaps to change the receipt number) the next receipt will automatically be generated with an increment of 1 from that receipt number. It takes me manually inserting the receipt number at its current count to continue without duplicates. I wish that QB would warn that a receipt number - either generated automatically or manually inserted - was a duplicate.

As for check, when I create a Sales receipt, I insert the details of the check donation and then press "save and new". When I insert the details of the next donation(s), it doesn't warn me that said check number already exists against that customer/donor - making for duplicate entries. If it would warn me, I could check to see if that entry had already been made. (We have a fairly complicated system in place which causes double copies of checks to land on my desk but I cannot make any changes to this system - not for lack or trying!)

Thanks for all the help. Still looking for a solution.....
Old 11-20-2011, 12:52 AM

Can you direct me to the activating this warning?
Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 02:35 AM

QB will NOT give a warning that there is a duplicate Customer's Check to you. It only warns of duplicate numbers for invoices and Sales Receipts since you are creating this document. It checks the Bill Reference number by vendor to help from entering duplicate bills.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 AM

Joe: thanks - can you direct me to activate the warning for duplicate sales receipts?

keep those smile!
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 AM

It was in preferences for Sales/Customers>Company
Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 AM

thanks - but mine only give me an option to warn about duplicate invoice numbers and not sale receipt numbers.... oh, well - thanks anyway