Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 04-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Changing items from non-inventory to inventory

I have been using QuickBooks Pro for a year and wasn't aware I should be tracking inventory for my e-commerce business. I have been using non-inventory items for everything I sell. I would like to start doing it correctly and change them to inventory items. All items I purchased to date have been shown as expenses, not inventory, and I have a number of those items still in stock. How can I make this switch without throwing my books completely out of balance?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 AM

I think you should re-think how you want to use QuickBooks.

If you are posting all of your purchases by item and all of your sales by item in QuickBooks, you can use inventory type items.

To switch over would mean creating new items with distinctively different item names.

I have done this for some of my clients by using excel - makes the process a bit easier.

Then, to correct your history, you can make an adjustment as of a given date, or go back and edit each transaction.

However, if you track the items elsewhere (on your e-commerce site, for example), I would suggest that you use QuickBooks to track summary information only, keeping just enough detail for the reports that you need for basic accounting and tax related reports.

I hope this helps,

Laura D

www.centsablebookkeeping.com
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraD View Post
I think you should re-think how you want to use QuickBooks.

If you are posting all of your purchases by item and all of your sales by item in QuickBooks, you can use inventory type items.

To switch over would mean creating new items with distinctively different item names.

I have done this for some of my clients by using excel - makes the process a bit easier.

Then, to correct your history, you can make an adjustment as of a given date, or go back and edit each transaction.

However, if you track the items elsewhere (on your e-commerce site, for example), I would suggest that you use QuickBooks to track summary information only, keeping just enough detail for the reports that you need for basic accounting and tax related reports.

I hope this helps,

Laura D
I have 1000+ items which are incorrectly labeled Non-inventory. I read a suggestion to rename all current items with a suffix "-old" and inactivate, then copy paste original list with Inventory part designation and add correct accounts. How do I rename many items?

If I export rename and import, that will only create new items.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM

Here is a work-around - export the list to excel. (you will need to keep the mandatory fields - item type and income account as columns)

Save a copy of the worksheet. Name each worksheet so that you can keep them separate as you work.

In the original worksheet,

make all inactive

import the same list.

From the excel export, add a "." in front of each item and change the item type to Inventory. (you can do this using Concatonate, if you know how to do this).

Add columns for the asset account, the COGS account, and the income account.

Import that list.

Going forward, make it part of your procedure to put a "." in front of the item name for all inventory type items.

Then do an inventory adjustment to adjust qty and value.

This is a bit complicated, so make backups at every step!!!

If you have the option to edit multiple list items (in recent versions), you can use this to make it easier.

Laura D

www.centsablebookkeeping.com
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 AM

I am not sure if you can edit a Non-Inventory item and change the type to inventory in QB-2009 - QB-2011 but you could in the older versions. This is a one way only conversion, so be sure it is what you want.

Before attempting this, make a backup using the FILE NAME
"Item-Convert.QBB". If you have any problems this is the backup to restore .
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM

First, thank you to the community and all contributors.
I have not yet finalized my transition of Non-inventory Items to Inventory, but do want to share notes and ideas.
Most important, make back up prior to starting. Another very helpful tip is to create a Test company which will allow all trial and error without damaging live data. I suggest making a portable copy and then restore the portable copy with the word “TEST -” as a prefix to the company and file name. Use this test company to simulate the conversion.
I exported my Item List using the Utilities under file to an *.IIF file.
In the *.IIF file, I noted two fields to the extreme right. “USEID” and “ISNEW”. I decided to try changing the names to 4 items. No other data was altered and I deleted all other items from my exported *.IIF file. Using the Utilities Import feature, I imported my file. The result was 4 new items which had no history.
I then restored my portable file again, over writing my prior test. I Verified that the original 4 items were not duplicated. Then I opened the *.IIF file and this time changed the values of the two unknown fields above. For all 4 items with altered name I changed the “USEID” field from “N” to “Y”. On two of the items I then changed the “ISNEW” field from the “Y” to “N” and left the other two records with the defaulted value of “Y”. I then imported again using the utilities import of a *.IIF file. To my surprise all four inventory items were RENAMED!!! No duplicates and each changed item kept its history.
I suspect that the USEID field which defaults to “N” tell QB to us the item number as the identifier to the records. When I changed it to a “Y”, QB disregarded the Item number and used the “REFNUM”, unique identifier as the link to the former records which allowed a name change instead of duplication or addition of a part.
Can someone confirm my thoughts and results? This could be huge for all users who need to change item number/name for many items.
Thank you in advance.