Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Cool American Express

I reconcile my American Express account each month and check all of the charges as paid. The next month when the bill comes in several old charges dating back as far as Jan 2010 have been duplicated as open items sometimes three or four times. In recent months there were 10-15 of these items to be deleted but this month there were 95 of them which will be very time consuming to delete. Do you have an explanation for why this happens and how to prevent it.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 PM

I reconcile my American Express account each month and check all of the charges as paid. The next month when the bill comes in several old charges dating back as far as Jan 2010 have been duplicated as open items sometimes three or four times. In recent months there were 10-15 of these items to be deleted but this month there were 95 of them which will be very time consuming to delete. Do you have an explanation for why this happens and how to prevent it.

Are you reconciling against a statement? You mean Amex is duplicating entries?

I think we need to go back and reexplain the problem. Remember Amex will send a "Statement" against which you reconcile.

As each bill(charge) is generated that will mean you enter a "Credit Card Charge" which will later be one of the items against which you reconcile the statement from Amex.

There is a serious issue here if you are "deleting" entries!!

On Edit: Rereading your post you must mean the charge items are being duplicated in your books. Holy smokes I have not a clue, hopefully someone else will chime in and use their experience here!!!

Last edited by cojhl2; 04-09-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM

It is not Amex which is duplicating entries. The duplicate entries are occuring within Quickbooks. Entries which were paid and cleared months ago resurface as open items. The cleared item is still there with the correct date but now a copy appears in Quickbooks as an open item which must be deleted before the bill can be reconciled to Quickbooks.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Are you clearing entries using the Reconcile process or are you merely checking clear column?.

BTW you are getting a statement from AMEX not a Bill although of course they expect you to pay it.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:10 AM

How are you entering the charges for the AMX credit card? There is a different answer for entering them as Bills or entering them as Credit Card Charges.