Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2003, 09:20 AM
shirlc shirlc is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Keswick, On. Canada
Posts: 31
Question stop payment entry.

I have quick books 2002. A cheque was issued in Sept of 02 and the person lost it. iI want to re issue a cheque and clear the old one, but I don't want any entries to go into last year, so I can't delete or void the cheque. So what should I do. I thought about just writing a cheque but not entering it, and clearing the old cheque number on my bank recon. but then I would have a missing cheque number for this year. Any ideas.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:30 PM
plg plg is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 728
Who Cares?

I don't mean to be nasty. Just ask yourself - who cares if there is a missing check number. In fact, enter it and void is, so it will show in the register.

Are you going to go to jail for a missing check number? What happens when your printer messes one up? Things like that happen.

You really hit on the most simple solution. Why not just do it! The sun will still rise tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:21 PM
shirlc shirlc is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Keswick, On. Canada
Posts: 31
stop payment

I do books for a non profit organization and they care. When they are audited, this will come up. I just wanted to know if there was a proper way to do it without making any changes to the books for last year.
Thanks for replying though.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 05:06 PM
plg plg is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 728
If it is really a problem, there may be several solutions.

One - you may get the bank to print a counter check for you with the proper coding in place.

Two - you, or someone with the organization probabpy have some of the initial starter checks issued whan the account was established. Use one of them.

Three - use the last check in the sequence and when re-ordering change the starting number for printing the new checks.

I can't imagine any body of regulators, directors, etc. not understanding exactly what happened. You had to stop payment on a check issued in a previous year, and rather than have to re-file tax reports, etc. you handled in this manner.

Even auditors understand such things. Particularly if you file a stop payment and have a copy of the action on file with the replacement check.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:47 PM
joyce_soho joyce_soho is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 671
A more correct way to handle this in QB is this: first of all you have noticed that if you delete a check from a prior period it causes the reports to change that you have already reported on. This is a little glitch in the QB system. In order to void the check in this period and reissur it, you have to do a workaround. What you have to do is enter a reverse of what you want to void in this period. So if you want to void a check, which is a minus to your checking account, you have to enter a plus. If you wanted to delete a deposits, then you would enter a deduction. In your case you will enter a plus to put the money back into the checking account and then reissur the check which will then deduct it back out of your bank account. And since both entries are for this period, they offset each other and cancel each other out. So go to your Check register and enter what looks like a deposit there to undo this check. Enter something meaningful into the Memo section there that explains the situation - such as Void Check #XXXX. Record it. This, as I said, puts the money back into your account just as if you had voided it. Then you cut the replacement check just as you normally would and enter into the memo that this is a replacement of check # XXXX. When you go to do you bank reconcilation, both the outstanding check that was lost and the "deposit" adjustment you made will show there and you select them both and they offset each other and then will drop off this bank rec and be cleared. I know this may sound like a strange way to do this but it's the only way to do it and have the adjustment be in this period and not affect past reports. And it leaves a clear record of what you have done.
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Serena P Serena P is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1
Stopping payment on a lost check that paid some bills

We paid some bills in QB, but before check could be mailed, it got lost. We stopped payment at bank, but how do i handle in QB?
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Joe Williams Joe Williams is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9,380
Enter a Deposit and use the same name and account you used on the check, enter "Reversing a lost check # ----" in the Memo field and use today's date. Issue a new check with a new number. n the next reconcile check BOTH the 'lost check' and the 'reversing deposit' to clear them also.
Joe Williams
Piedmont, Ok
Reply With Quote

Bookmark and Share
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All contents copyright (c) by AccountingUsers Inc.
You Rated this Thread: