Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Multi-User Problem

After upgrading from QB Pro 2008 to QB Pro 2010, remote users can only open the company file in multi-user mode if the company file is open on the host computer. If the company file is not open on the host computer, it opens in single use mode for remote users, and they get an error if they try to change to multi-user mode.
All computer running XP Pro.
Worked fine with QB 2008.
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:27 AM

I'm getting similar problems, and I think I've figured out that the host computer has to be running the QuickBooks Database Manager - I'm going to be putting it in its Startup folder. It would automatically start if the host starts QuickBooks. I'll go and try it and let you know if it works.

. . . a few minutes later: Ran the QuickBooks Database Manager on the host PC, then closed it again. Can't open QB on my PC. Relaunched QuickBooks Database Manager on the host, now I can launch QB on my PC - in single user mode, but if I try to change to multiuser, I get the message to the effect 'QB is hosted on another PC and can't be reached, do you want to take over multiuser hosting'. If the host opens QB I can get in, but not otherwise.

This is all very confusing. I've tried using the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool and that seems to fix things for that time only - clearly I'm missing something about how QB is set up on the host and my PC - but I haven't been able to figure it out yet!
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK

Last edited by RobJoy; 08-29-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 AM

Not sure if this helps but some users found that it worked.
(One fix)
1.EnsureQBCFMonitorService.exe and QBDBMgrN.exe are running on the server machine. You can check this in task manager.

2. On the windows firewall and any other firewall installed on the server machine, please make sure that you have the added QBDBMgrN.exe and QBCFMonitorService.exe in the exception list so that there can be free communication between QB and these two processes.

I found #1 ok but I had to add QBDNMgrN.exe to Windows firewall exception list in the host machine (#2)
(second fix)
1. Make sure QB is closed.

2. Goto Quickbooks Support Online and d/l the Network Diagnostic Tool.

2. Install and Run

3. Once running, under the "QB Connection Troubleshoot" tab, look for your "Firewall Status".

4. Click the "Open Ports" button on the right side of the Firewall section. This will open the proper ports for Windows/QB to be utilizing.

5. Under the "Test Connectivity" section locate your company file and then click the "Test Connectivity" button. You should receive all GREEN answers meaning all tests have passed.

6. Now close the Network Diagnostic Tool and open QB Pro, login, switch to Multi-User Mode and logout. Now when you open and close QB Pro, it should open (BY DEFAULT) into "Multi-User" mode on a terminal computer.

7. Now repeat process on all terminals!

I hope this works as it worked on our system!