Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 06-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Remove PMT from Deposit

Hi, I am not sure if this can be done but I'll ask it just the same. We have a small HOA and receive checks from the residence for community activities which I enter by the Payee name and the activity and then make a Deposit for these payments. My question is that when i reconcile the account the list these payees with PNT next to them and I would like to know HOW to remove / delete PMY without deleting the whole transaction?
Thank you for your help,
Bob
Old 06-18-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblink View Post
Hi, I am not sure if this can be done but I'll ask it just the same. We have a small HOA and receive checks from the residence for community activities which I enter by the Payee name and the activity and then make a Deposit for these payments. My question is that when i reconcile the account the list these payees with PNT next to them and I would like to know HOW to remove / delete PMY without deleting the whole transaction?
Thank you for your help,
Bob
Not quite sure why you would want to delete a payment deposited into the Bank. However if you are entering the transactions as "Receive Payments" with the payments going to Undeposited Funds, and then recording the "Deposit" using the payments to Undeposited Funds, Then the only way to delete one of those payments is to Delete the Deposit and redo it.

But if the Deposit was made and one of the cheques were returned, you should be recording the returned cheque rather than changing the deposit.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:36 AM

You can also edit the Deposit, select the payment and do Ctrl-Delete to delete the line with the payment.
NOTE: Ctrl-D deletes the complete transaction!!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Thank for for your help guys, as I indicated this is a non-profit Home Owners Association that has been around for 40+ years and I was recently "volunteered" to be treasurer and was given QBs.
For internal reporting purposes, I have identified each homeowner as a Customer and when they make a payment, I make an entry on Customers-->Receive Payments.
I then go to Record Deposits and list all the payments that have come in and when I get the bank statement and try and reconcile the statements, the names of the "Customers" are listed under Deposits with PMT next to them.
What I would like to do is ONLY delete the PMT entries but if I understand you correctly, QBs does not allow me to just delete the PMT unless I also delete the underlying transaction?
Any thoughts / comments / suggetions /... would be appreciated.
Thank you again for your help,
Bob
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 PM

I think you are making this too complicated. You should probably create an invoice for each monthly payment for each homeowner (This could be done automatically) and then as each pays the assessment do a receive payment.

If you deposit in batch the payment will go to "undeposited funds" until such time you actually take the batch to the bank.

It seems this should all work out and be fairly straightforward. I wonder if you are trying to do multiple things with one trans and therefore confusing the issue.

Being a nonprofit has no bearing on the keeping of the books. I have one of these farms that is non-profit!!!! (Wasn't planned that way but that is the way it is)
Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 AM

cojhl2
"But if the Deposit was made and one of the cheques were returned, you should be recording the returned cheque rather than changing the deposit."

If you edit the deposit in the bank account, click on the payment on it that you want to delete and then do a CTRL-Delete (delete key to Delete Line) QB will delete that line on the deposit. You can the3n save the deposit and edit the Receive Payment and do CTRL D (delete transaction) to delete the receive payment.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblink View Post
For internal reporting purposes, I have identified each homeowner as a Customer and when they make a payment, I make an entry on Customers-->Receive Payments.
I then go to Record Deposits and list all the payments that have come in and when I get the bank statement and try and reconcile the statements, the names of the "Customers" are listed under Deposits with PMT next to them.
Are you creating invoices for the assoc. dues? If not, you should not "receive payments".

If you do have invoices and are receiving payments, then those should be grouped with undeposited funds so that when you go to record deposits, you'll see them there, already listed, waiting to be deposited and you create your deposit that way.

Sounds like you're entering the payments twice.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree