Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Quickbook - chart of account - account numbers

Does Quickbooks accounting software allow/provide for the use of ACCOUNT NUMBERS in the setup of a chart of accounts for a client that is going to do their bookkeeping/accounting/payroll in Quickbooks ?

Also, for instance in the payroll part of Quickbooks, does/can it generate & post transactions to the general ledger based on account NUMBERS assigned and not the NAME of the accounts.

I WANT a software that uses account numbers !!!

Last edited by wpshooter; 06-18-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:32 AM

I change all my clients (if they don't object) to account numbers.

You need to go in and edit the name of the account:

instead of "ask my accountant"

600 - Miscellaneous

It doesn't really take much time, and it's a good way to get rid of the garbage accounts.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Yes, you can certainly use account numbers. Edit, Preferences, Accounting, Company Preferences, check box for Use account numbers. You may still need to add the account numbers to accounts you've created, but now you'll see the field in the account set up window.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 06-18-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_mn View Post
Yes, you can certainly use account numbers. Edit, Preferences, Accounting, Company Preferences, check box for Use account numbers. You may still need to add the account numbers to accounts you've created, but now you'll see the field in the account set up window.
Thanks for your response.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 PM

FYI

Just so you know, once you have set up account numbers you will be able to search for an account either by name or by account number.

In case you are not familiar with G/L account numbers formats.
Most Systems/Accountants use the following format, most use a 4 digit number.

1000 Assets
2000 Liabilities
3000 Equity
4000 Sales
5000 Cost of Goods Sold
6000 Expense
7000 User Defined
8000 Other Income
9000 Other Expense

This format allows greater flexibility in assigning Major Groupings eg:-

6000 Expense
6100 Salaries And Wages
6200 Location Cost
......6210 Rent
......6220 Utilities
etc........

This also makes it a little easier when entering a transaction say "Interest on Long Term Debt" you would be able to tell by the account number which "Interest on Long Term Debt" you were dealing with e.g:-

a 2000 number would be a Liability Account
and a 6000 number would be an Expense Account.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbqcca View Post
FYI

This also makes it a little easier when entering a transaction say "Interest on Long Term Debt" you would be able to tell by the account number which "Interest on Long Term Debt" you were dealing with e.g:-

a 2000 number would be a Liability Account
and a 6000 number would be an Expense Account.

Yes, that is exactly what I know.

I have no idea as to why anyone would ever want to setup a set of books without using account numbers.

Perhaps I am just an old accountant from the OLD SCHOOL way of doing things. A traditionalist, so to speak !!!

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpshooter View Post
Perhaps I am just an old accountant from the OLD SCHOOL way of doing things. A traditionalist, so to speak !!!

Thanks.
Its nice to know there is some else out there who also went to the "OLD SCHOOL"
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Chart of Accounts number order

Hello to you all. I am new to this forum and to Quickbooks also. I am using Quickbooks 2010 for Mac v. 11.0.7 R8.

I chose this thread because it seemed to have something to do with the Chart of Accounts. That is where my problem lies also. So forgive me if I have violated a forum protocol by posing another question here. I could not discover how to start a new thread.

Like most of you, I have structured my Chart of Accounts using the traditional number system. Assets, Liabilities and so on. My Chart was not created in number order. Some things were added afterwards, numbers were rearranged and it was generally a work in progress for a couple of days. Of course, when I was done, the numbers appear just as they shoul, in order and everything is wonderful.

That is until I am in another register, say my checking register, and I need to assign an account, say from my Cost of Goods Sold account. When I search through that, the items in any particular section (ie: Assests, Liabilities, Costs, Expenses) appear, apparently, in the order in which I entered them originally when I was creating my Chart. In other words, horribly out of order and difficult to navigate. I know I can enter the number or name of an account in the filed but if I do not know that, I am stuck searching through my chaotic Chart of Accounts. Is there a way to make the Chart of Accounts and sub-accounts show up in number order?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Thomas
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortugathom View Post
Hello to you all. I am new to this forum and to Quickbooks also. I am using Quickbooks 2010 for Mac v. 11.0.7 R8.

(1)Like most of you, I have structured my Chart of Accounts using the traditional number system. Assets, Liabilities and so on. My Chart was not created in number order. Some things were added afterwards, numbers were rearranged and it was generally a work in progress for a couple of days. Of course, when I was done, the numbers appear just as they shoul, in order and everything is wonderful.

(2)That is until I am in another register, say my checking register, and I need to assign an account, say from my Cost of Goods Sold account. When I search through that, the items in any particular section (ie: Assests, Liabilities, Costs, Expenses) appear, apparently, in the order in which I entered them originally when I was creating my Chart. In other words, horribly out of order and difficult to navigate. I know I can enter the number or name of an account in the filed but if I do not know that, I am stuck searching through my chaotic Chart of Accounts. Is there a way to make the Chart of Accounts and sub-accounts show up in number order?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Thomas
(1)When working on the chart of accounts you can at any time go to the "Account" button at the bottom left had corner of the screen and press "Re-sort List" and your list will immediately be sorted into numerical Order.

(2) I tried this on my computer and the COA came up in account number order. You might try a couple of things, (a) make sure "Use Account numbers" is turned on in your "preferences" / "Accounting", and while your there also tick "Show lowest sub account only". Some people make the mistake of adding the Account number in the "Name Field" along with the name, this will not give you the effect you are looking for.

If none of the above helps, then just type in the account field 5000 or part there off and only the COGS accounts will show up.

Hope this helps
Also a Thomas
Old 06-22-2010, 07:56 AM

For many QuickBooks users, account numbers just freak them out. It's much more user friendly to simply enter "telephone expense" or "checking", rather than messing with numbers.

I think there's room for both ways and luckily, QB accomodates them.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 AM

Freak me out!

In the days of hand bookkeeping account numbers were a necessity because there had to be a consistent method of filing and retrieving ledgers.

Today with "scroll" capability account numbers get in the way so far as I am concerned.

I used them for awhile a number of years back and subsequently dropped them. made my life easier.