Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 06-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Best computer setup for Quickbooks Pro 2010

Hello all,

I do pc support for a local company that is moving their accounting to Quickbooks. Based on the minimum pc specs published on the website, I advised them that the pc they wanted to use it on wasn't going to be adequate, so they gave me the ok to purchase a new one.

Before I make the purchase, I'd like to get an opinion on what the best processor I should go with. If the specs recommend a 2.4 GHz, it would seem to me that a single core proc would basically be at the minimum spec. So would a Dual-core be sufficient, or should I go with a dual core? Or won't the program use more than one core?

I'm looking at the HP computers. I just upgraded one of their other pcs a few months ago with an HP, but don't think they need a pc with quite the same performance specs as that one (a Pavilion Elite with a Phenom II X4925 Quad-core with 6GB memory).

The HP Everyday pc line has two with Dual-cores, I have the choice of Intel Core i3 540 or the i5 650, with the latter costing an additional $130. If a Dual-core proc is sufficient, would the i5 650 give that much better performance for the dollars? Would the program run better having the Turbo mode in the i5 650? The rest of the specs between the two are the same (4GB DDR3 memory, integrated HD5450 graphics, 640GB HDD).

Not being familiar with any of the Quickbooks programs, I don't know whether the program would perform better with more processor or memory. Example would we be ok with the i3 540, and spending the money to upgrading the memory instead? With integrated graphics (512MB), I figured I should go with at least the 6GB, assuming 8GB to be overkill.

Again they will not be using this pc for anything else - or running multiple programs.

Thanks for the help...jebrady
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM

I don't think QB can use dual-core, I believe it's a one-brain application. (Cue joke about a double-entry system not using one processor for debits and one for credits. Sorry. Suffering from a surfeit of football in the house.)

The things to give a PC running QB is buckets of memory and fast disks. Mine has 6GB RAM, and separate HDs for the OS and data.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 AM

There's an article on this on the cpa911 website, in the Troubleshooting Quickbooks section (www.cpa911.com). No SQL-based application should use hyperthreading (QB uses Sybase which is SQL-based). You'll probably be better with RAM, but the real work is done at the client computers, not the server.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the help.

JZ - the program will be running on a stand-along computer - no client/server setup.

RobJoy - Thanks for the processor info.

I looked over the pc's again after I posted here. The single core pc is only a 2.2GHz, and can only get a max of 4GB memory. So I guess I'll go with one of the Dual-Cores where I can get more memory. I was definately going to go with at least 6GB. Do you think 8GB will be better or overkill?

HP has a special where they are giving you a free upgrade from 2GB to 4GB. Then to upgrade to 6GB cost $80. Then another $80 ($160) total to go up to 8GB.

This pc will not be running multiple apps, and mostly just for Quickbooks. Do you think Quickbooks alone will actually use 8GB? I'm thinking the 6GB would probably be sufficient, but again, I've never used Quickbooks. Just thinking 8GB seems like a LOT of memory for ONE program to be using! If it was a graphics program, yes, but not a Database mgr and number cruncher.

Thanks again...JEB
Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 AM

I think 4GB would be fine - I tend to have lots of stuff open: Access, a couple of Excel spreadsheets, Outlook and Firefox would be typical, with a 200MB QuiciBooks file.

What about the disks? My setup is HD1 for c:, HD2 for data (d and all temps (t, HD3 for backups.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 06-16-2010, 07:06 PM

They will have a 500GB 7200 sata HDD on the pc with three 4GB thumb drives for several days of external backups. They also have several pc's on their network they can backup to if needed.

Thanks again...JEB