Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 02-18-2003, 02:18 PM

Adding shipping charges to an invoice

I would like to add shipping charges to an invoice and have the total include both product costs and shipping charges. This total plus applicable sales tax is what the customer pays.

It looks like this calculation (so common a need) isn't supported by Quickbooks Basic 2002.

Correct?

Any suggested workarounds?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:48 PM

I think if you set up a non-inventory item for the shipping charges, with that revenue going to a separate GL account, then you can add an extra line on the invoice for those charges, and the invoice total will include it. Sales tax is calculated on all lines if the items are set up accordingly.

Regards
Mike
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 PM

Hi Mike,

Earlier I had tried adding an item for Other Charge for shipping and edited the invoice appropriately.

It allows me to enter the variable shipping rates on the invoice. However, the underlying logic, which would calculate the sum of product cost + shipping + sales tax, does not function. Rather, the sum is of product cost + sales tax.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:49 PM

This is from QB help re adding additional charges (note GST/PST) reference Canadina sales taxes.

Creating items for miscellaneous charges
Your business may have miscellaneous charges like shipping and handling charges that you need to add to a customer's invoice.

You may also have charges that you want to set up as reimbursable charges. For example you may incur photocopying expenses on behalf of clients and want this item to represent both the cost on the bills you pay and for the charge you add to customer invoices.

To create an Other Charge item
If this item is a reimbursable charge

From the Lists menu, choose Item list .

From the Item menu button, choose New.

In the Type field of the New Item window, choose Other charge.

Type an item name or number.

What you enter here appears on the drop-down list of items when you are filling out a sales form or purchase order. Enter a name or number that will help you distinguish this item from all the others on the list.

If this item is a subitem of an existing other charge item, select the "Subitem of" checkbox and specify the parent item's name. See Creating subitems.

Type a description. This description will display on sales and purchase forms.

In the Amount or % field, enter a flat fee or a percentage.

In the Foreign field, enter a foreign rate for this item. The currency of this price is determined by the "foreign prices" preference. When this service item is used in a foreign transaction that matches the currency chosen in the preference, the foreign price is used. Otherwise, the home price is converted using the exchange rate. This field will not appear if foreign prices is not set up. See Turning on foreign prices on items.

(Optional) Enter a default sales tax (GST/PST) code for this item.

On sales forms, you can override the tax code you assign here for a particular transaction or customer.

You can enter both a default Purchase Tax Code (that vendors charge you) and a default Sales Tax Code (that you charge customers).

Click Custom Fields to fill in any custom fields that apply to this item.

In the Account field, enter an income account for sales and an expense account for purchases.

Record the item.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LJR
Old 02-21-2003, 05:20 PM

I couldn't replicate your problem, I added an "other charge" which was included in the invoice total. You may need advice from another Canadian user.

Regards
Mike
Old 03-02-2003, 05:11 PM

Thanks! I tried it again using the item "shipping" and bingo.