Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Talking Company File save to default change

New to Quickbooks. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the deafult location the company file saves to? On a multi-use computer that frequently goes online it would seem foolish to save private company information to an all users location.

Would MUCH prefer to save all possible to another drive (removable) especially the company file.qbw as well as .qbb files. Can this be done? If so HOW?

All suggestions welcome.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 AM

change the default location the company file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulltime Bob View Post
New to Quickbooks. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change the default location the company file saves to? On a multi-use computer that frequently goes online it would seem foolish to save private company information to an all users location.

Would MUCH prefer to save all possible to another drive (removable) especially the company file.qbw as well as .qbb files. Can this be done? If so HOW?

All suggestions welcome.
You can do so by using the normal copy & paste in windows explorer.
Remember the first time you open the company file once it has been moved, you will have to use the open existing company option and navigate to the directory to which you moved your file, in order to open it.
Hope this helps
Regards
Warren
Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 AM

QB no longer supports keeping the file on a removable drive - although you can make it work, it's convoluted. You have to have a Host which means one of the client computers needs to be configured for hosting the file and that computer has to be the first one logged into QB and can't close the file.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeiger View Post
QB no longer supports keeping the file on a removable drive - although you can make it work, it's convoluted. You have to have a Host which means one of the client computers needs to be configured for hosting the file and that computer has to be the first one logged into QB and can't close the file.
Not sure that's right. I keep all my user data on external drives. I have no data for any application on an internal drive.

What is a problem is some of the backup programs (Carbonite as an example) won't back up from an external drive.

I use IBackup and it has none of those stupid restrictions.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojhl2 View Post
Not sure that's right. I keep all my user data on external drives. I have no data for any application on an internal drive.

What is a problem is some of the backup programs (Carbonite as an example) won't back up from an external drive.

I use IBackup and it has none of those stupid restrictions.
Backup is not the issue. The copy and move part is easy. Please tell me more about exactly "how" you installed QB (or later changed) to NOTEVER save the company data file to the default location on drive c:\ all users dumba$$ location.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM

I brought up the backup only as a second (additional) thought. I think it's stupid for any software to differentiate between an internal drive and a properly addressable external drive.

It has been so long since I created a new company file I would have to go back and see how its done from scratch. However::

I often create duplicate company files from a "Restore" function and I always go to a different drive then where the original "good" company file resides.

I do this once in a while to test some function or process w/in QB.

On the copy function, after the file is copied (I don't have QB up right now) but there is an option "Open or Restore" a file. Go there and you then can put in the address of the new file.

BTW, backup is a consideration if you have a backup system that does not support external drives and that is where your company files are located.

OK,, I just went over and started to create a mock company and about the third or fourth screen in it asks where to store the file.

Last edited by cojhl2; 04-10-2010 at 09:32 PM.