Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM

QB Online Payroll multiple classes

My client just added QB Online Payroll. I was just notified by online QB help that QB Online Payroll does not have the capability to use multiple classes with each employee. You can assign only one class per employee. I am surprised and dissappointed about this. Looks like I need to come up with plan B.

I am wondering if anyone in this forum has a way around this. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Location: Tampa, Florida. Also serving Brandon, Riverview, Clearwater
Hi Blueberry,

This lack of additional classes makes it very difficult to correctly allocate shared employees. I ran into this when one of my clients had one manager responsible for two profit centers and, understandably, wanting the salary split between them.

I came up with 2 workarounds:

1. Salaried, static assignments - I entered an auto-generating Memorized Journal Entry reclassing the allocation amounts. This method worked fine until there was some change..which I caught during my Prelimiary review.

2. Occassional shared employee - I created additional Payroll Items 'Shared-Profit Center1', 'Shared - Profit Center2' and pointed them to respective COA accounts I created: 'Clearing-Profit Center1', 'Clearing-Profit Center2'...

Although it was a wee bit tedious, Method 2 did allow me to enter the hours split between the Profit Centers, cut the check.. and move on. As part of the monthly close, I picked up the amounts in the Clearing accounts and allocated to the correct Profit Center.

All that just to workaround this limitation in QBO!

I hope this helps..

Karl Sexton
Certified QuickBooks® ProAdvisor
Accounting On-Call LLC
Accounting | Quickbooks | Tax | Bookkeeping
Lutz / New Tampa FL
(813) 641-4262

Be sure to visit our website:
www.AccountingOnCall.com
Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 PM

Karl, thank you for your reply.

I was hoping to avoid using journal entries, but I do realize I may not have a choice. I could reverse out the entire gross payroll, then reappropriate using multiple classes for each employee. Then I would have to do same for employer taxes. That would be 2 JE's per payroll.

I will give your idea to create additonal payroll items some thought; see if I can make it produce the results I need.

QBO definitely has its limitations.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry1946 View Post
My client just added QB Online Payroll. I was just notified by online QB help that QB Online Payroll does not have the capability to use multiple classes with each employee. You can assign only one class per employee. I am surprised and dissappointed about this. Looks like I need to come up with plan B.

I am wondering if anyone in this forum has a way around this. I would appreciate any ideas. Thank you in advance.
Blueberry:

I am in the same quandry. I am trying to start with small clients, and I all ready ran into this problem. I have ran some test payrolls with employees in different "classes". I can't find a payroll report yet reflecting those different classes. LOL.

Anyhow, what if the employee's earnings are tied into job costing somehow? Is there a time sheet that would allocate the employee's time in that way?

Herb
Old 02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobmate View Post
Blueberry:

I am in the same quandry. I am trying to start with small clients, and I all ready ran into this problem. I have ran some test payrolls with employees in different "classes". I can't find a payroll report yet reflecting those different classes. LOL.

Anyhow, what if the employee's earnings are tied into job costing somehow? Is there a time sheet that would allocate the employee's time in that way?

Herb
I'm not sure about working with timesheets - that might be a different feature. Ideas for one employee working for different classes per payroll period are pretty slim. QBO help suggested creating multiple paychecks per pay period per employee, but that would effect the withholdings.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Okay Blueberry1946, I might have found something today.

First go to Edit, Preferences, then Accounting. Click the Company Preferences tab. Check the box Use Class Tracking.

Then Payroll & Employees, and click the Company Preferences tab. Put a check in front of Job Costing, blah, blah.. Then check the box "Earnings Details" following Assign one class per....

I started inputting a dummy payroll, and I was able to spilt up the hours an employees had in different classes. I didn't process the data, but had I, I believe the hours would have been allocated to as many classes as I used.

Herb