Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 01-10-2010, 06:14 PM

"Other Names List?"

New QuickBooks user. Just converted from Quicken 98 H&B. I have an "Other Names List" that is a mile long. What would happen to my data if I just deleted it? What is the function of this list? Can I "merge" duplicate entries in this list without consequences? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: Tampa, Florida. Also serving Brandon, Riverview, Clearwater
Welcome to QuickBooks!

To answer your questions:
You cannot delete an entire list. You have to work with the Names one at

QB has safeguards in place and will not allow you to delete a name with current transactions. If you unknowingly try to, QB will warn you of this condition. So, there is nothing to prevent you from cleaning up your Lists and delete unnecessary Names.

You can merge Names very easily in QB. Edit a duplicate Name. Change its name to exactly (spaces commas and all) match that name you wish to merge into. When you save the change, QB will warn you there is another name and ask you if you wish to merge them. Select Yes. All transactions are automatically moved over to the merged name. Neat.

Another option is to hide a Name. You can do this by editing the Name and checking to 'Make this Inactive'. This keeps the Name from appearing on any List unless the Show Inactive checkbox is checked.

Finally in QB2010 there is a nice ability to edit multiple List entries at once. You find this window under Lists: Add/Edit Multple List Entries. . You will have to Customize the columns so 'Inactive' will show but using this feature will make short work of your task if hiding the names will work for you.

Karl Sexton
Certified QuickBooks® ProAdvisor
Accounting On-Call LLC
Accounting | Quickbooks | Tax | Bookkeeping
Lutz / New Tampa FL
(813) 641-4262

Be sure to visit our website:
www.AccountingOnCall.com

Last edited by karlsexton; 01-10-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 AM

It's a very long time since I tried converting from Quicken to QuickBooks, but I have a nagging feeling that my customers and vendors all became Other Names in the conversion to QuickBooks.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 01-11-2010, 05:02 AM

Correct! When converting a Quicken file to QuickBooks, all names are converted to Other Names. This allows the user to edit the name in the Other Names list and change them to Customer, Vendor or Employee where they will be used in QuickBooks.
WARNING! A name can be changed from Other Name to a different list but CANNOT be changed from ANY other list type!!
Invoices require Customer names, Bills require Vendor named and paychecks require Employee names.