Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 10-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Tie a client's invoice to a vendor's bill...

I'm new to the forum. Wondering if someone can help. We are kind of a middle man in this scenario.

Our sales dept is selling a bundle of goods that includes some goods from us and goods from a vendor of ours. Our vendor only gets paid when we receive the money but we have terms of 60-90 days. We are currently tracking this outside of QB and it is getting tedious. So, my question is, "is there an appropriate QB/accounting method to tie our customer's invoice to our vendor's bill?" I'd like to be able to pull an income report (cash basis) from the 1st of a given month to the 30/31st and pay the vendor based on this report.

I realize we can pull this report now and the check should be accurate but it doesn't allow me to drill down on specific questions about specific clients very easily. I'm thinking if I can find a way to link between the client invoices and vendor bills, that would help??????

Thanks,
jjnine77
Old 10-10-2009, 06:12 AM

Lightbulb

On each vendor's bill, select the customer in the "Customer:Job" column for each line. This will link them. If you want to transfer that bill's charges onto the customer's invoice, tick the checkbox in the "Billable?" column at the end.
When you invoice that particular customer, click on the "Add Time/Cost" button & select the appropriate tab(s) (depending on whether you've used the "Items" and/or "Expenses" tab on the vendor's bills). Tick the vendor lines displayed on the tab(s). You can choose to add the lines to the customer's invoice in detail as they appear, or as one summary line & also if you want to on-charge exactly as billed or apply a markup amount/percentage.

(Depending on what version of QB you have), once you "link" your vendor's charges with your customer's invoice, you will be able to generate a variety of "Job" reports, directly comparing your income from that cusomer, against how much the expense was that was charged to you by your supplier. If you have access to these reports, they'll be on the "Reports" dropdown menu under "Jobs, Time & Mileage."
Bookkeeper / Tax Consultant
Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

Email: shazinoz@digisurf.com.au / shaz@accounted4bs.com
Web: www.accounted4bs.com