Wrong last reconciled date in Future
I have inherited some poorly kept books. When I try to reconcile the main bank account, the following text is displayed to the right of the Account name field:
"last reconciled on 05/31/2013"
Note that I am NOT talking about one of the three fields for entering dates that appear on the "Begin Reconciliation" screen, those being Statement Date, Service Charge Date, and Intereste Earned Date. I'm talking about the text that appears to the right of the combo box for selecting Account name.
I believe this date was accidentally entered in the past as an erroneous Statement Date, probably for 05/31/2002.
I thought all I would have to do is reconcile again with the correct date, such as now 12/31/2002. However, this did not change the text. It appears that Quickbooks doesn't use the most recent date you've entered, but instead uses the numerically highest of any date you've ever entered. One typo and you're hosed.
I've looked for a place to change this and I can't find one. I would like for this indicator to be correct.
How do you change this value? It is NOT a data entry field on the reconciliation screen. I can NOT find a place where it's stored in the chart of accounts record. I can NOT find any reference to it in the help or on the Intuit website.
YES, the erroneous future "last reconciled" date CAN be changed, as I've found on a related thread.
A) Back up your data first
B) Don't skip step #A.
C) All of this can be done from the chart of accounts list. For EACH bank account to be fixed...
C.1) For example purposes, I'll call the account being fixed "Bad Account"
C.2) Write a note with the current account balance.
C.3) Write down the names(numbers) of all sub-accounts (only need to write immediate sub's, not levels below). NOTE: Be sure to do Edit / Show All Accounts in case there are some inactive sub-accounts. Also, be sure to note which were inactive. They'll get accidentally marked active again during this process.
C.4) Edit sub-accounts and temporarily make NOT a sub of ANY account.
C.5) Create a new account with any ol' name you want, such as "Merge Bad Account" (I just added "Merge " to the front of the name.)
C.6) Edit "Bad Account", copy description and account number (text fields), perhaps use cut/paste, over to "Merge Bad Account".
C.6) Edit "Bad Account" and change name to "Merge Bad Account". After clicking OK, you'll be told that the account name already exists. You'll be asked if you want to merge the accounts. Do so (merge).
C.7) For grins, start to reconcile "Merge Bad Account" and see that indeed there is no "last reconciled" date display at all. Exit without continuing reconcile.
C.8) Edit "Merge Bad Account", which is now your near-finished repaired product, and change the name to "Bad Account". Of course, at this point "Bad Account" is actually on it's way to becoming good!!!
C.9) Edit all those accounts that were once sub-accounts and make them sub-accounts. Copying the full hierarchical name of "Bad Account" makes this go faster for multiple sub-accoujnts. (If you skipped step C.3 and can't remember all the sub-accounts, go spank yourself, restore the backup, and follow the directions next time!)
C.10) Note that any inactive sub-accounts got changed to active along the way automatically by quickbooks. Go mark those inactive again.
C.11) Select Edit / Hide Inactive Accounts.
C.12) Verify that the originally active sub-accounts to "Bad Account" are there, and the only ones there. Also, verify the current balance shown equals your original note and that you didn't mess something up.
C.13) You've now finished fixing "Bad Account". Repeat all steps C for any other account, including sub-accounts or parent-accounts of "Bad Account".
D) Your accounts are now ready to reconcile with correct dates.
E) Ask for a 5% raise. If you're a volunteer like me, ask for 100% raise with complete confidence that you'll get it.
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|