Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2002, 10:07 PM

Invoices from Purchase Orders

I have a non-inventory business. When I receive an order, I create a purchase order for a vendor. The vendor ships the product directly to the customer and notifies me. At that point I create an invoice to send to the customer.
I would like to find a way to create an invoice from a purchase order since the invoice has basically the same information (other than prices and address info). Is there a way to do this in quickbooks so that I dont have to duplicate the effort of entering all the items twice?
Old 01-20-2002, 04:59 AM

As I understand it, your vendors drop-ship to your customers for you. Then the vendor Bills you and you Invoice the customer.

If so, this is easy to do in Quickbooks. You don't create the Invoice directly from the Purchase Order, though.

When you issue the PO, I'm assuming you enter the customer's name in the "Ship To" field to automatically fill in the ship to address. You'll notice that QB then also fills in the customer's name on each line item you are purchasing. This action sets up that line item to be billed to that customer.

When you receive the Bill from the vendor, you should receive the items against the Purchase Order to close out the PO. Soon as you "receive" the items against the PO, QB is ready to invoice your customer.

Start an Invoice for the customer. Click the Time/Costs button, and you'll find a list of items drop-shipped to your customer. Select those you want to add to the Invoice. Correct the price to include your markup. It's that easy.

The above describes how I do this in QB Pro 99. It works for inventory or non-inventory items. Later versions should have the same functionality.

------------
By the way, if you invoice your customer upon receipt of a Shipping Notice instead of waiting for the Bill, use the Item Receipt function to accomplish the same thing.

By the way, if you issue one PO for multiple drop shipments to different customers (you type the ship to addresses in the body of the PO), you can change the customer name on each line item to indicate which customer should be Invoiced.

By the way, items don't appear on the Time/Costs list in the Invoice window until you indicate to Quickbooks that they've been shipped either by posting either an Item Receipt or a Bill from your vendor against the PO.

By the way there's a handy report Unbilled Costs by Job that you can run monthly to see if you've forgotten to Invoice any items for which you've been Billed by vendors.

Last edited by Linda Limas; 01-20-2002 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:09 PM

Talking

Thank you! This is exactly what I want to do! You've saved me tons of work....
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Update November 2012

Since I posted this in 2002, Quickbooks has added some handy features in later year desktop versions* that make this process even easier.

As an example, IF you have a fairly recent** Quickbooks Premiere version or higher*** that has the Sales Order feature, you can use the Sales Order window to record your customer's order; then you create the Purchase Order from the sales order window.

This changes the "flow" of processing, so check what features your version has and revise my procedures above as appropriate.

Linda

*My particular clientele doesn't use the online version due to feature limitations.
** By fairly recent, I mean I checked back to 2008 Premiere, and, the Sales Order feature was present. Check your version.
*** Quickbooks Pro doesn't include the Sales Order feature, at least as of 2012 version, haven't checked 2013 yet, but presumably not.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Linda,

I am using Quickbooks Pro 2013. What is the best way to accomplish this with this version? Most of my product is shipped by a third party. They make some of the product and just ship some for us. The process now, which I am sure is wrong, is create an invoice for the customer but don't send yet. Create a PO to send to the co and put the line item if they supply the product and put shipping on the line if we supply the product and they simply ship. So, I am, like the first gal, creating two documents instead of just carrying over the information from one to another. Simplify?

By the way, we are not accountants or even bookkeepers so this is all greek to us.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM

Hey rockindoublej,

I am working on a product that does this automatically; we are finalizing the details and should launch within a week or two.

I've attached two images of the program so you can see how it looks.

Basically, Purchase Order Pro takes any completed invoices, estimates, sales receipts, or sales orders between a date range you specify and aggregates all the items listed into a PO for each vendor.

You can see what your current inventory on hand is, price per item, etc. You can also adjust quantities, pricing, and the preferred vendor if you wish.

You can generate all the POs for all your vendors in less than 5 minutes.

I won't link to our website because I don't want to spam the forum, but feel free to PM me for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PurchaseOrderPro.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	932   Click image for larger version

Name:	PurchaseOrderPro Grouped By Preferred Vendor.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	933