Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
BKW BKW is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
Recording Insurance Claim Check

We had something that was turned into our insurance company and they paid a claim. How do I record these entries?
Quickbooks Pro
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:30 AM
shazinoz shazinoz is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ballajura, Western Australia
Posts: 931
Can you clarify what you mean by "turned into" ?

Is/Was there any tax implication on these transactions ? (eg Tax code/reporting requirements)

You don't say where you are located, but here in Australia, if it's required to be recorded on taxation reporting documents, you'll need to enter the income via a "Sales Receipt". If not, you can enter it directly through "Make Deposits"
Shaz Hughes (Dip)Fin ACQ NSW, AAT ABN MICB
Accredited Reckon Professional Partner
Registered BAS Agent
Bookkeeper / Tax Consultant
Accounted 4 Bookkeeping Services

Email: /

Last edited by shazinoz; 04-01-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:40 AM
BKW BKW is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 64
In the previous year I paid for repairs on leased equipment. We put a claim into the insurance company which reimbursed us for the repairs on the equipment (the insurance check came the following year).

So the repairs were used as equipment repairs expense on our taxes. The following year I am reimbursed for those repairs. I am not sure where to record the insurance check - how to make th entries.

I am in the USA
Quickbooks Pro
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 AM
Joe Williams Joe Williams is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9,040
Deposit it to the same equipment repairs expense account. If you claimed the expense last year, you will show that amount less on your taxes this year.
Normally if you have an insurance claim that you had to pay then get a reimbursed foe, create an other current liability named "Insurance reimbursed" and use it on the check and deposit.
Joe Williams
Piedmont, Ok
Reply With Quote

Bookmark and Share
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All contents copyright (c) by AccountingUsers Inc.
You Rated this Thread: