Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:23 AM

What would cause the Balance Sheet to be out of balance?

What would cause the Balance Sheet to be out of balance, along with the trail balance and general ledger? My version is multi currency and I have reviewed my accounts and don't see anything unusual.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeb View Post
What would cause the Balance Sheet to be out of balance, along with the trail balance and general ledger? My version is multi currency and I have reviewed my accounts and don't see anything unusual.
You need to describe more on what is out of balance: Total assets did not agree with total liabilities and find balance or A/R balance does not agree with detail billings, A/P does not agree with total amount of bills received.

Need more information before I can offer any help.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM

Total assets do not match total liabilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by songcon View Post
You need to describe more on what is out of balance: Total assets did not agree with total liabilities and find balance or A/R balance does not agree with detail billings, A/P does not agree with total amount of bills received.

Need more information before I can offer any help.
Total Assets do not match Liabilities & Equity. I have check my chart of accounts and don't see anything unusual, i.e., an incorrect account category. The difference is not easily identifable, there is no account with that balance.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydeb View Post
Total Assets do not match Liabilities & Equity. I have check my chart of accounts and don't see anything unusual, i.e., an incorrect account category. The difference is not easily identifable, there is no account with that balance.
Did you try to verify the integrity (?) of the data file, the file get corrupted could be one of the cause.

Look under the file category
Old 02-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songcon View Post
Did you try to verify the integrity (?) of the data file, the file get corrupted could be one of the cause.

Look under the file category
I just tried that and had to rebuild, now it's off exactly double the orginal amount. Very odd.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Do you run the balance sheet report in cash or accrual basis?
Can you find the date the balance sheet goes out of balance?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 PM

There surely has to be a data corruption if the Trial Balance is out. Run a Verify again - yes, I know you just did a rebuild, but sometimes errors don't get fixed in one go. To make things easier to read, locate QBWIN.LOG in the QB program files folder and rename it to 'oldQBWIN.LOG' or something, QB will create a new one. Run the Verify, then open QBWIN.LOG and see what it says. It ain't the Queen's English, but you can usually figure out a way of finding whatever transactions it's moaning about - you should see the date, account and amount at least.

From my experience the most likely culprits are payments made from your home currency bank account for foreign currency bills. QB sometimes seems to 'forget' that the (say) £1000 in the £ current account is paying $1400 of $ bills - when you open the payment it has changed the total payment from 1400 to 1000, and put the transaction out of balance. If that has happened, change the total back to the foreign currency total and save it.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 06-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Not sure what version you're using, but I've got pro 2009 fully updated and I'm having a similar problem, I'll be doing a rebuild again (first time got the balance to about $1600 down from $53K) to see if that fixes or at least highlights the issue in the .LOG files

But from what I see it's actually only a problem in the Balance Sheet when looking at the totals vs quarterly/monthly/daily It has one account that shows a different total amount than the quarterly, etc…views.

And there's no indication of error in the account, only the Balance Sheet totals view.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM

If the balance sheet is out of balance and rebuild does not correct it;
run the balance sheet report and then modify it, set Date to All and Display Columns to Year.
After you locate the year it first goes out, change the date to that year and set the display columns to month.
Keep narrowing the date until you find the date it first goes out of balance. Usually the problem is in the AR so you may have to re-enter the transactions in that date.