Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 10-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Exclamation Installing Quickbooks 4.0 in XP

Hi,

I recently got a new computer that runs Windows XP, and need to install Quickbooks 4.0 (1996 version) to further install the Quickbooks Pro 2001 upgrade. However, my PC will not recognize the Install.exe file on version 4.0 floppy disk 1. If I try to run that file, my PC does nothing. Is there any way that I can get this installed on XP?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-26-2008, 02:25 AM

You cannot install version 4.0 but you should be able to install 2001 without problems. You do not need to have prior version installed to install 2001.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your response. However, when I try to install the 2001 QuickBooks Pro CD, it does detect whether you have a previous version installed. That's why I need to install the older version.

Anyone else have any insight or experience with this?
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 PM

I've installed upgrades in the past on new machines where we only had to put in the disk for the prior version to prove that we had it. Do you have that option?

Does it prompt you for he prior installation location or disk drive with installation disk of the prior version?

I'm surprised your new machine even has a floppy drive!
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 10-26-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_mn View Post
I've installed upgrades in the past on new machines where we only had to put in the disk for the prior version to prove that we had it. Do you have that option?
I tried that. The Upgrade must be looking for a certain file that is "unzipped" when the Install.exe file runs.

Quote:
Does it prompt you for the prior installation location or disk drive with installation disk of the prior version?
It doesn't. It simply returns a message that the prior version was not found, and that installation of QB Pro 2001 can not continue.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Windows Xp install of older versions

To install older version not made for Xp you need to Right click CD drive in my computer, then click on explore, in the window that opens find the setup or install file, right click on it then properties, under properties there is a compatibility tab click on it then check box for run this program in compatibility mode for:, in drop down box select windows 98 or what ever version of windows the install disk is labeled for. This will work for all your older programs. You may have to right click the shortcut or exe file and do the same with it to get it running in Xp. Hope this is clear enough, good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHTouchdown View Post
To install older version not made for Xp you need to Right click CD drive in my computer, then click on explore, in the window that opens find the setup or install file, right click on it then properties, under properties there is a compatibility tab click on it then check box for run this program in compatibility mode for:, in drop down box select windows 98 or what ever version of windows the install disk is labeled for. This will work for all your older programs. You may have to right click the shortcut or exe file and do the same with it to get it running in Xp. Hope this is clear enough, good luck.
Thanks --- I did everything you said, but the install.exe file simply does not want to run off of floppy disk 1 in Windows XP. The disk is fine, because I successfully installed the program on a WIn '98 machine.
I wonder if the answer has anything to do with Permissions?

Last edited by Oregonian; 10-26-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:22 PM

Update

Update:
I solved my problem, although I'm not quite sure how. I brought up the properties for the Install.exe file on the floppy, and unchecked the "Archive" file-type box. Then I was able to get the file to work. Not sure why this worked, but now I have the 2001 version safely loaded onto my hard drive.