Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 09-13-2008, 07:55 PM

Have a friend who has QBP 2.06 (?) on two Windows computers -- a desktop and a laptop. Until recently, the computers had the same QB data, but then one was mistakenly updated separately from the other. Is there any way of merging the two sets of data so nothing is lost and so both machines have the same data?

Also, what's the best way for two machines to be used separately but maintain the same data (so that when one machine is updated, the other one is also, automatically)?

I presume the two machines need to be networked. Is that possible when one is a laptop? Note: Friend lives in the boonies and has only dialup internet access (which he only uses on a third machine, a Mac). Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by lisa_mn; 09-16-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 AM

I merged your two posts, and kept the additional question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1953 View Post
Have a friend who has QBP 2.06 (?) on two Windows computers -- a desktop and a laptop. Until recently, the computers had the same QB data, but then one was mistakenly updated separately from the other. Is there any way of merging the two sets of data so nothing is lost and so both machines have the same data?.
I hope it's not really 2.06 - maybe 2006?
If only one has new changes, just copy the file to the other machine and they with both have the same date.

If there are new changes on both, either make manual entries to get them in sync, or there's a program called data transfer utility that can be used to move selected transaction both directions. You can get more info at www.q2q.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1953 View Post
Also, what's the best way for two machines to be used separately but maintain the same data (so that when one machine is updated, the other one is also, automatically)?

I presume the two machines need to be networked. Is that possible when one is a laptop? Note: Friend lives in the boonies and has only dialup internet access (which he only uses on a third machine, a Mac). Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks.
Yes, they need to be networked - there would be one data file that both would connect to. There are remote and online options, but not with dialup.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 AM

Lisa, regarding networking, does this have to been done with an internet connection? If so, why can't dialup be used? Too slow?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM

networking would be to connect 2 computers in the same physical location. They would be networked with cables and a hub.

For remote access, that is one computer controlling another computer in a different location, we're talking internet and yes, dial up would be intolerably slow.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Expanding on networking 2 computers

I have a similar yet slightly different problem. Several months ago I moved the company file from the PC in the front office to the laptop in my office. They're networked by wireless modem. I discovered yesterday that when using the PC, I can open QB but the files there show no records since September, when I moved the company file. Previously, when the company file was located on the PC, I never had trouble working in QB from my laptop. I followed the instructions for moving the company file, I have file sharing enabled, I have my laptop hosting multi-user access, but I don't know what else to do to get them on the same page, if you will. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Kat
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 AM

It sounds like you are accessing two different files. On the laptop, note the drive location. If it is C:\... then it is on the laptop's HD and you need to share that folder and map it on the PC then access that mapped drive file.