Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Enterprise Edition Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 03:13 PM

multi user problems

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post, but here it is:

I am using Enterprise Solutions 8.0. We have a 15 user license. We have multiple companies and all the data is stored on the server. At any given time there can be more than one person accessing company data. We are supposed to open in multi-user mode as a matter of course. This has not been a problem until recently, but when I attempt to open a company in multi user mode, I get a 'problem' window that says something to the effect that 'you are trying to work with a company file located on antoher computer and this copy of Quickbooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202) Then it offers a solution of verifying where the file is located is set to host multi user (it is) and then offers 'alternate setup' which we don't do.

Now, here is the real kicker, if someone else is already in that company, it allows me to open multi user, but if no one is in the company, I cannot open it multi user, I have to open in single user. It has become a real pain, I have to get right out of the company as soon as I am done so that someone else won't have a problem accessing. Our computer administrator has tried reinstalling QB on my computer, but I still have the problem. It only started about a month ago and we can't figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jan
Old 03-26-2008, 04:18 AM

If your computer is the only one that gets the message, make sure that the path mapping is correct. Sometimes it needs to be redone.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM

How would I check the path mapping? When I want to open a company, the 'look in' box points to the correct path where all the different company data is stored, is that what you mean? I have the most problems with opening in multi-user, but others have had sporadic problems as well.

Last edited by janesca; 03-26-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 AM

If the "look in" box shows a drive leter like J:, the path is mapped. If it shows somethings it is not and that may cause connection issues.
If outher users are getting intermittant network problems, then the server may be getting to "busy" and causing issues. I do not realy understand all of what the server does but it should have lots of memory and drive space and high clock speed.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM

Interestingly enough, they recently upgraded the server to combat some of the slow connections. Doing some asking around, I found out that others, but not everyone, were having the same problem, they just never bothered to say anything! Most of them just open the company in single user mode, do what they need to do and then log out of the company. But, if someone else is already in the company in multi user mode, then you can open it in multi user. I'm wondering if it is a software bug? If anyone out there has any ideas???
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM

just giving this a 'bump'. We are still having the problem. Some people have no trouble opening in multi-user, others can't open in multi-user. It's pretty frustrating. Any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 AM

debski

I also have a multi-user problem that simply will not allow more than one person to log on and I have no idea why and my IT guy doesn't know why either - any suggestions as to possible reasons?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Multi user problem Vista and Windows XP Pro

I have had no problems if the data is on Window XP Pro, and access it wiht computers (2) and (1) runing Vista. Then i had a disk crash, thank G_d I do backups. Anyway I reloaded the data on to the Vista and used that as the server, now I can not make the Vista QB go into multi user mode. I get error -6098. I am runing QB PRo 2006 3 user lic. Yes I know that you can't run QB Pro 2006 under Vista, but you can if you select by right clicking to run it in XP Mode. (tip was posted on this forum) THe question is, Do they got me, and do I have to upgrade to qb pro 2008?. IS anyone using 2008 in a mixed operation envirmoment?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:16 AM

Check out this URL:
http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com...rticle/1002941
Also, you may need to reinstall QB on the PC you are using as the server to get the QB-Database manager installed.