Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Unhappy Printed Payroll Cheques - Didn't "Save"

Hi folks. I'm fairly "green" at this, and found myself in a little dilemma. I printed my last pay period's cheques for my staff. After doing this, I went away from my PC and didn't "save" the changes to QuickBooks. My PC crashed (switching to a MAC soon), and now when I want to go back in and view my cheques, or do my source deductions for the Canadian Gov't for the month, I can't find the cheques.

Anyone know if paycheques automatically self-save if you've printed them? If so, how can I find them? I was thinking I have to go back in, using the paystubs, and rewrite the cheques, then not print them, then "save" my changes or "back-up" or whatever QBPro does...

Please help!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:27 PM

They should be saved when you create tehm. Printing should not change or delete them. Use Find and filter for one employee and for transaction=paycheck.
You can also use theCustom Transaction Detail and filter it for: Date=all, transactions=paycheck and Entered/Modified=2/10/2008 through 2/20/2008. This will show any paycheck that was entered or modified between those dates. You can then edit them to the correct date if they are found.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks Joe. I'll give this a try. I was panicking there for a while...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Tried this, but still could not find the cheques. I did print them back before my PC crashed, but for some reason they don't show up when I search the Payroll Transaction Detail from Jan 1st to Feb 1st. Is it for sure that they automatically are saved if/when I printed them? You would think so...

Not sure what to do... Is there a "ledger" anywhere which brings up a view of all the cheques I've written, in numerical order? I could look through the last payroll cheques and see what went amiss. For the month of Jan., QuickBooks is showing (and finds) only cheques for one pay period - even though I had pay periods ending Jan 6th, and Jan 20th. The pay periods are every two weeks, and I pay 8 days later on a Monday, so for example, the cheque for the period ending Jan 20th would have been printed on the 27th, and given to the employee on the 28th. Not sure if this explanation helps anything, but perhaps the fact that my date of printing the cheques is a week later than the pay period makes a difference?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:21 PM

If I messed up the dates on my pay periods, would this impact this? For some reason it appears I printed cheques for all my staff on Dec 24th, then again on Dec 31st. I would never do those twice... There is always a 2 week gap in between. I have to pull my cheque stubbs and confirm that I didn't pay employees twice for a week in December. I'm thinking this possibly threw everything off???
Old 02-13-2008, 04:50 AM

No, he incorrect Pay Period does not affect the date on the paycheck.
Yes you can get ALL checks in number order using the Missing Check report under Reports then Banking.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks again Joe. I'll try this out and see what happens...