Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Newbie Question—How do I show payments received on an Invoice?

Hi all,

We have just started using Quickbooks Pro 6, on Mac, for our graphic design business.

I created an estimate for a client initially. Then used Receive Payments to record a deposit of 50% to start the project. The project is now finished. So I opened the estimate and used the Invoice button to create an invoice. I went back to the Customer Payment window and checked the column next to the invoice just created to apply the payment to the new invoice.

However, when I print the invoice it shows the full balance due with no record of the deposit made. In the invoice window there is a button "Payment History" which allows me to see the payment made, but there is no way to add it into the invoice.

What am I doing wrong here?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Unless you have an item set up for "Payments" that you enter directly on the invoice it won't show. You could enter your payments that way by going to the invoice and entering the payment. Unfortunately the payment date will be the invoice date, which is probably inaccurate. I don't use MAC so I don't know if it has the ability to show payments entered the proper way at the bottom of the invoice. In 2007 & 2008 Windows version I have the invoice customized to show the payments received.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannemead View Post
In 2007 & 2008 Windows version I have the invoice customized to show the payments received.
I have checked the invoice layout and I don't see any options for showing the payments received at the bottom of the invoice.

I can add a custom column called "Deposit Received" but it's more of just a comment field as it doesn't calculate with the other columns.

This seems like a very basic accounting function. Hence, the reason why I believe I'm missing a step somewhere.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM

What year is your program. I believe the ability to do this was only the last couple of years.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm using QuickBooks Pro 6.0.1 R2 for Mac
Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM

I don't know the features of MAC, but they do have less features than Windows. In Win. I can add that box for payments and credits by going to the Templates Additional Customization screen, Footer tab, and choosing this box.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:23 PM

The version I have does not have that option for the footer of Invoice Format.

I have a brainstorm and wonder if it might work. What if I did the following:

I would create the following:
1. An "Other Liability" account called "Customer Deposits",
2. An item called "Downpayment" defaulted to the "Customer Deposits" account.

I would create an invoice to my customer using the Downpayment item for 50% of the job. The invoice creates an accounts receivable for the customer and creates a liability for me in the amount of the downpayment. When the customer pays the invoice, it eliminates the receivable, I have cash but still owe the customer for his downpayment.

When I complete the job, I invoice the full amount of the job to our customer then on the last line use the Deposit item with the amount as a negative number. This transaction creates the sale, shows that the customer has paid half of the sale so that the receivable is only half the sale and eliminates the downpayment.

If the above would work, I have one question. What Tax Line option would I choose when creating the "Other Liability" account?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:42 PM

That's the correct way of handling customer deposits. On whatever tax form you use it should be shown as Other Current Liability.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Great, I'm glad that method will work.

The part I don't understand is if this account needs to be related to a specific tax form or schedule as shown in the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	189
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	345  
Old 11-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Are you transferring the balances to the tax program from Quickbooks? If not you don't need to worry about the tax line. I fyou are, edit the account and you should see a box that will probably have the tax line already in it. Mine shows B/S-Liab/Eq.:Other Current Liabilities. That is the correct line to use.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Ok, got it.

Thanks for all your help.

jr
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM

You're very welcome.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8tive1 View Post

I would create an invoice to my customer using the Downpayment item for 50% of the job. The invoice creates an accounts receivable for the customer and creates a liability for me in the amount of the downpayment. When the customer pays the invoice, it eliminates the receivable, I have cash but still owe the customer for his downpayment.

When I complete the job, I invoice the full amount of the job to our customer then on the last line use the Deposit item with the amount as a negative number.
hey, i was having the exact same problem with my travel business. i take 50% deposit to confirm a travel reservation, and bill later for the other 50%.

i'm using pro 2006 for MAC also, and have been frustrated that i can't show a deposit paid. is there a way to do what cre8tiv suggested, yet still have an detailed itemized invoice rather than 1 single 'downpayment' line item??

also, is there a way a credit memo could be used to offset that deposit paid?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 AM

or maybe i invoice the FULL amount with itemized details, but indicate 50% deposit due in the customer message box, and then on the final invoicing use a payment line item to reflect deposit paid and offset it somehow?

why can't QB PRO for MAC just show a simple line under the invoice that subtracts previous payments?