Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 11-05-2002, 11:22 AM

Sorting Accounts in the Financial Statements

Hi,

I just established a new chart of accounts for a client and turned on "Use Account Numbers" in the preferences menu. I logically numbered the accounts, with subcategories. For example, 4000 series accounts for income, 5000 series for Cost of Sales, 6000 for expenses, etc. Within the expenses, they are further coded - 6100 series for Sales Expenses, 6200 series for Salary and Related, 6300 series for Warehouse Expenses, etc.
This is the way I have done it with higher-end software

The problem is that Quickbooks does not sort by account number in the P&L or B/S. Why? I cannot figure out what the sorting is - it doesn't even look alpha, or alpha-numeric. It looks like they are in descending numerical order???

Doesn't it seem logical that when you select "Use Account Numbers" in the preferences menu that the reports which utilize the account structure would then sort by number? If I run the "Account Listing" report, I have the option to sort by Account, and then it sorts correctly by Account Number. But, I don't have that sorting option with the P&L and B/S.

I saw in a previous thread where someone suggested putting a "#" sign in front of the account number in the "Number" field. Will this produce the result I am looking for? Am I missing something? Does someone please have a suggestion?

Thanks.
Tim Chapman, CPA
Old 11-05-2002, 01:57 PM

Look at your chart of account list. That is the order used when generating reports. If you want it to be in account number order, click on the "Account" button in the bottom LH corner and choose "Re-sort List". If you've done the accounts the way you've described, your reports should then be in order.

If you want to manually change the order, click on the diamond in front of the account number and drag it where you want it. However you arrange them, it will automatically change in your reports.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM

Thanks

Yes, this seems to work.

Now let me vent . . . this is ridiculous programming. Why would the sorting of one report dictate the sort of another indepedent report! Urgh! Thanks. Now I feel somewhat better.

Thanks for your help , Terry.

Tim Chapman, CPA
Old 11-06-2002, 04:29 AM

Well, your chart of accounts is not a report, just a list. The sort order determines the shape of any report which uses the list.

It may be different to your previous program, but not necessarily ridiculous (:-)

Regards
Mike
Old 11-06-2002, 08:23 AM

I appreciate your reponse.

Perhaps ridiculous is not the right word, but it's not far off. I guess it's just one of the many frustrations in the low-end software world.

In higher-end packages the chart of accounts would be maintained in its own data file, and the underlying data would not be resorted based on an activity that "used" or queried the data (e.g. to look at the chart of accounts). To look at the COA in a higher-end package, some form or report would be used to query that data and I would be allowed to sort it or look at anyway I chose, without affecting the underlying data structure. A financial statement would be the same - some temporary report would be generated based on a query of the underlying data, having no affect on the data structure (sort order).

So, for me to think in terms of my chart of accounts being in some sorted order because of how I looked at it the last time is something I am not used to.

Thanks again.

Tim Chapman, CPA