Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM

Have you Googled it?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM

no, not yet, i can't open a file
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM

Go to Google and do a search for those error coded. Or try quickbooks.com
Old 10-07-2007, 03:20 AM

Per Intuit
An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6000, -301)
KB ID#: 1000464
What is happening: This error may occur when you try to open your company data file.

Why is this happening: Your company data file is damaged.
How to fix the problem: Because you cannot open the QuickBooks file to run the Rebuild Data utility, to resolve this issue you must either:

Restore the most recent, undamaged backup of your company file and reenter lost data.
Send the file to Intuit's Data Services for repair..

Detailed instructions: Note: If you get this error while trying to restore a backup, the media may be bad. Check for or make another backup and try again.

Note: If you receive this warning while using a computer that is hosting multiple company files, check to see if anyone else is using files that are hosted by this computer. If others are using files hosted on this machine, they should switch to single-user mode (from the File menu, choose Switch to Single-user Mode). Once everyone is in single-user mode, proceed with restoring your back up.

Note: Restoring a backup and entering missing transactions, is often a more expedient solution than sending the file to Intuit's Data Services department for repair. If a recent backup is found and can be opened successfully, run the Verify Data utility (for the Verify Data Utility steps, search the Knowledge Base for "Using the Verify Data utility"), to check for data damage. If the Verify Data utility fails, run the Rebuild Data utility (See KB 1002385) for the steps.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:55 PM

I'm having the same issue, and it looks like they charge $250-750 to fix the problem! That seems crazy. Are there any other options? I can't run the "verify" or "repair" because the file won't open and it needs to be open to run those.

Holding alt while opening the file doesn't seem to help, it still won't open, and it doesn't seem like you can verify or rebuild a file unless it's open.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:49 AM

Try locateing another company like one of the sample companies in the QB directory in My computer and then double click it. This will cause QB to open that company. Then you can go to file Close company then File and utilities and rebuild. Browse to locate your company then choose rebuild.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
Try locateing another company like one of the sample companies in the QB directory in My computer and then double click it. This will cause QB to open that company. Then you can go to file Close company then File and utilities and rebuild. Browse to locate your company then choose rebuild.
This doesn't work for me. The options to verify and rebuild are greyed out unless a company is open. I'm on 2008 Pro.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM

The owners of this forum offer a great service for data repair if you can't get if fixed on your own.

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.Consulting4qb.com
Old 05-16-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbsrox View Post
The owners of this forum offer a great service for data repair if you can't get if fixed on your own.
Thanks, I tried to get a company to recover it, but beyond the $300 price tag (which is a lot for us, my wife and I run a small socially proactive business that doesn't even quite break even...we fund it), they said my only backup was too old because it was from before our update to QB2008 (it was a QB2006 backup that was forced when the file was updated).
Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Do a search on your computer for any .qbb and .qbw files ... there is usually another back-up 'hiding' somewhere. When you updated it to 2008, the back-up or original data file may still be on the computer...it's worth looking.

The only other thing I can think of is if you still have 06 (or whatever your older version was) installed ... try opening the data file with that. Or try restoring an old back-up before you converted it.

Just a FYI for others .... when you install a new version of QB's ... do a fresh installation and only restore a back-up of the original file - do not update the original data file at first. This way if something goes wrong with the upgrade you can still work with the older version. Always have more then one back-up, and make sure they are good before upgrading.

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.Consulting4qb.com
Old 05-16-2008, 08:33 PM

I wish I could help you but all I can is give advice. When you install a new QB program, don't let it overwrite the old program. Install it in a different directory also. This way you can always access your old data file.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:11 AM

I definitely checked, all the files are on our linux server, and a few "locate -i ___" commands later, I'm absolutely positive there are no other backups.