Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Installing QuickBooks Pro and have 2003 Quickbooks

Hello

I'm doing some work for someone and they need Quickbooks Pro installed. Well they currently have Quickbooks Pro edition 2003. And I'm new to the entire Quickbooks scene...

Before I finalize the installation I need to make sure that the current data on the system can be imported in either in whole or in parts?

Thanks for your assistance on this matter.

Maranda
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 PM

If you are instaling QuickBooks 2006 or 2007, after installing just open the old file. QuickBooks starts you will get a backup message. You can make it to hte hard drive. It is just a safty precaution so if you lose power or something else happens in update there is a known backup.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 PM

Thanks for your response. So it will import the original company that is running on 2003? Is it possible to do parts?? The client stated that when they first started using Quickbooks they put some funky data in... which I'm assuming they don't want in the new version -- so if they do state they want to start fresh how would I Import parts of the data from 2003?

Just wondering -- Do I need to make a backup of all the data before I do the installation?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 03:00 PM

When in doubt, ALWAYS make a backup!!!

You could open the old file in 2007. . then, if you want to start a clean file, you could save a backup (of course). . .then do a 'condense and remove all transactions' and have the 'shell' to work with. . .enter your year end trial balance, outstanding checks/deposits/bills/invoices (not as easy as it sounds if you haven't done it before, but definitely do-able. . .)

Or, you could export your lists . . .COA, vendor, customer, items. . .refine those lists and import them into a new empty file. .. (again, very do-able, if you know what you are doing. . .or, are very adventurous and willing to learn!!!)

Fun, eh??

Hope this helps,

Laura

www.centsablebookkeeping.com
Old 01-30-2007, 03:17 PM

Yes I'm very adventurous and want to learn so should I go hunt down a quickbook guide on doing the import of parts?

I like the export into lists idea but I'll run it by the client on my options.

I'll keep you posted on what I do.

THANKS!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:43 PM

So the client was wondering if I could start off with a shell and then import data into quickbooks.. but once you install the new version it takes over the older version correct?

See what they are wanting to do is integrate the Quickbooks with Number Crunchers but in order to work with number crunchers you need a quickbook file (so I was told and I'm reading the manual now). So as stated it was posed if I can have a clean file and then import the data from 03?

THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:00 PM

Upgrading from Quickbooks Pro 2004 to 2007

Along the same line as Maranda s post and before I take the plunge and purchase. Is it possible to upgrade from 2004 pro to 2007 contractor edition? My understanding is you need 2005 or higher?
Any pearls of knowledge would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:41 PM

You can upgrade from 04 to 07, that's fine.

However, let me be VERY clear on a few things.

1) Make SEVERAL back-ups and VERIFY they are good.

2) Don't run the Upgrade install - instead do a total install and install the newest version into it's OWN directory!

3) When you get to the screen during the installation that ask you what version you want to upgrade - select NONE - you don't want to upgrade anything at this point, just get the newest QB's installed.

4) After installation, open a sample company and get your updates.

5) In the New version of QB's - go to File>RESTORE - and RESTORE One of your BACK-UPs!!!!!! This will upgrade it to the newest version, click through all the prompts and be patient.

6) Once you Restore a BACK-UP in the New Version - CHANGE the COLOR of the file in your Preferences - so you know at a glance you are in the 2007 version of your data file.

7) The above will accomplish several things - it will safely install the newest version of QB's without corrupting/interfering with your original data. You will be able to upgrade your data file and IF something went wrong you can still open your data file in your older version. You have no downtime.

8) Once you are SURE (say after a few weeks) that the new QB's is working ok, then you can uninstall the older version of QB's safely.

All that being said - BEFORE you start, run ALL computer maintenance on your system. A CLEAN system is a must for 2006 and 2007 -so run Disk Clean, Defrag, CCleaner.com, virus and adware programs, etc. Be sure to reboot as needed and re-run the maintenance after the installation.

Good Luck!

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.Consulting4qb.com