Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 06-18-2006, 04:51 PM

chinese input

does any one know how to make chinese character show up in quick book? like every time i enter in chinese for like a description of an item the character does show up but once i click away it shows ?????. does any one know the answer to this problem? ur help is really appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:50 AM

My computer consultant is Taiwanese and he says that he is able to input Chinese characters in QB. I'm not sure what version he has of QB but it is not particularly new.

What version of Windows do you have? Have you downloaded the MS Chinese language add-on (simplified or traditional)? Which country and language are selected in the Regional and Language settings on your computer?

I used to have the Chinese add-on but I used it too seldom to be worth retaining so I can't play around and check for you, but I will ask my consultant when I have the further information requested.

I have seen posts where other users have had problems with Chinese characters either because they get gobbledegook or because every account name is preceded by a question mark. One user said that various Chinese add-ons caused trouble with QB so that he'd been forced to have separate computers for Chinese and QB.

Ken
Old 06-21-2006, 03:32 PM

My computer consultant has explained what you need to do to input Chinese characters as follows (assuming you have Windows XP in English):

1. Go to Regional and Language Options in Control Panel

2. Click Languages

3. Tick (Check) Instal files for East Asian languages

4. Click Details and then Add

5. Select the version of Chinese that you want and click OK repeatedly until you are back at Control Panel and close Control Panel

6. Click the language icon immediately to the left of the Systray and select Chinese

7. Open QB and, say, Create an invoice

8. Move the cursor to, say, Description

9. Hold down CTRL and press the spacebar

10. If you've chosen, say, Simplified Chinese (PRC), type the Pinyin version of the desired character and you'll get a menu of characters with that Pinyin representation

11. Select the desired character

You may be called on to insert your Windows XP disk so have it handy.

Ken
Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 PM

it dont work

hi thanks for helping me out but i did every thing u said but once u click away from the description bar the words turn to ??? again. how do u get it to stay in chinese?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:23 AM

When I try it, the same happens. I called my computer consultant and he said that it definitely works on his PC but he'll have to check what's causing the problem on my PC. It may unfortuntely be a while before he's here again. He said that he has the Chinese version of Windows but that it should work in the English version too.

Ken
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM

Sorry for the long delay is posting further information. I have at last seen my computer consultant and it turned out that he has his Regional and Language setting in Windows set to Taiwan and traditional Chinese.

I suppose one could change the setting when working in QB but I fear that that the changing back and forward might confound QB.

The only other workaround that occurs to me is to create the Chinese text in Word and print the QB invoice onto the preprinted Word document. You would probably then want to save them separately. Very cumbersome, I'm afraid.

Ken