Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2002, 10:40 AM

Item Costs Not In Job Profitability Report

I use all non-inventory items for jobs even though I maintain a small inventory of repair parts. Background explanation: larger items are purchased specifically for jobs and the inventory of fittings is so detailed and turns over so often that it isn't worth counting at the end of the year. Non-inventory items are set up as purchased for a specific job so I can enter cost and sale prices. When I make an invoice and generate a job profitability report it lists item sale prices correctly but lists item cost prices as zero (unless the job is named in the customer column of a bill). On jobs where the bulk of items is pulled from shop stock this results in a massive-looking profit. Is there a way to make the profit report detail the costs of non-inventory items that are used but not purchased specifically for that customer?
Old 08-07-2002, 07:04 PM

I ran across a similar problem with job costs not flowing to the P&L by Jobs. What I found was that the client was using a specific item #'s on purchase orders that were set up using the vendors product #, but when the invoice was produced for the sale of this item, a different, more generic item # was being selected (customized with a description they wanted the customer to see rather than the vendors product #) . Once we matched up and used the same items received for invoicing, the costs flowed through to the P&L by job correctly. Keep in mind that the default item description can be overridden.
Old 08-08-2002, 05:20 PM

Thanks, but..

Thanks, Karen, but that isn't happening in this case. I don't show item numbers/names on invoices - only descriptions. I use my favorite suppliers part numbers for both purchasing and selling. If I purchase items for a specific job and show them as purchased for that job when entering bills, and if I use the "time/costs" entries when writing the invoice the costs will show on the P&L . All non-inventory items that I put on the invoice by entering the part #/name do not show a cost on the P&L. All of my "non-inventory" items have a cost and sale price; I do not use "inventory" items.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:49 AM

Non Inventory

Has anyone figured this out? We can get the cost to show up on the report if we take the name filter off, but then the revenue disappears. It makes no sense.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:42 PM

Unhappy

I am also having this problem of the cost on non-inventory parts not following through to the reports. It seems to be how the accounts for purchase and sales is set up. I just have not found the proper accounts CGS and income?

Or is there one of the filters that will show both?

Lost and confused
RJ Martin

Last edited by rj martin; 08-09-2005 at 03:22 PM.