Advertise    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 02-03-2006, 03:16 PM

Quickbooks won't recognize backup company file

I recently had to reinstall my Quickbooks Basic 2002 version after reformatting my C drive on my home compuer. I have Quickbooks Basic 2002 also on my office computer and from my office computer generally make a backup file to a USB flash drive which I bring home and restore to my home computer. The reinstallation on my home computer's C drive went all right, but when I enter the program I asked four different things: a, create a new company; 2, open an existing company; 3, convert from Quicken; 4, open a sample file. I choose option #2 and direct it to the backup file on my USB flash drive, it logs onto the flash drive, but I don't see my company file and I know it's there. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Can somebody please help me out with this situation. Thanks.

rwh220
Old 02-03-2006, 06:28 PM

You don't OPEN a backup file, you have to RESTORE it. Go to File, Restore and browse to where the backup file is.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 PM

You may also want to open a Sample Company first....get the updates, then restore your file. In the older versions that was important to be on the same release (update).

Also, be sure you are selecting 'all files' when you browse your flash drive. You will have to Restore, not Open as Lisa mentioned.

Rox :-)

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.qb4yahoostores.com
Old 02-04-2006, 06:29 AM

Restoring Company files

Lisa/Rox,

Thanks for your help. What confused me was that after having reinstalled the Quickbooks 2002 Basic program and entering it as I usually did, I was faced with the four-choice screen as I mentioned in my earlier post. The menu bar where I usually would click on "file" and then restore was grayed out. My only choice was Open new company, existing company, sample company etc. On trying to open my existing company, that's where I couldn't understand why, when I browsed my flash drive, it wouldn't show my backup file.

Anyway, I opened a sample file and then the menu bar up top was normal (not grayed out) and I was able to perform the restore function and restored my company file. Thanks very much for your help.

rwh220