Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 PM

Wipe data and start over?

I was wondering if it's possible to wipe out all my data and start over again. I don't need to necessarily clear all the company info, but I did not get clear instructions on entering data and have spent a lot of time entering things over the last few months in different manners. As a result, everything is totally messed up. I have double entries in the thousands of dollars. My checkbook register is up to date, but if I now "deposit" the Undeposited Funds, it will be totally innaccurate. Even if it took me three hours to reenter all my transactions, that would be a fraction of the time it will take to clean up the stuff I have entered innaccurately.
I appreciate any advice on how to do this.
Thank you.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:35 AM

Andi, that's the best idea you've had all day. Start first by Receiving the payments into Undeposited Funds and THEN use the Make Deposits to select them and record the deposits the way they really went in the bank. You did the bank stuff first and then went back and did the payments afterward which duplicated everything before.
Create a new company file and only use the Interview until you NAME the new file. Then LEAVE the interview. Don't create any accounts or anything.
Now, open the old file and click on File, Export, and select your Chart of Accounts and the Lists that you want to keep. This will create a little export file. Tell it to put it on your Desktop. Then close this company file and open the new company file.
Go to File, Import and select this little import file on the Desktop that you just made and it will import all the Chart of Accounts and the customers, vendors and lists from the old company for you. Then all you have to do is enter the transactions again.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Are you absolutely clear about how to do everything now, Andi? Don't be in the slightest hesitant about asking again.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 11-09-2005, 11:09 AM

Click File>Archive and Condense and choose the "Remove ALL transactions" option.

This gets rid of all the checks, bills etc but leaves the lists (customers, vendors etc.) in place.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 PM

wipe data and start over?

Thank you all so much for your replies. It really helps to know there are people who are willing to offer assistance.
I am planning on tackling this job soon. I am looking at the two replies below (Joey and rusty3200).
Joey: yes, I did the bank's check register first; it was easiest, although a bit time consuming. Then I felt when I recorded sales by customer, and it went to undeposited funds, I didn't know where to "deposit" them to. I had already physically deposited them to my business checking account, and the Quickbooks check register was up to date, so seemed like if I "deposited" them from undeposited funds to an account, (i.e. my "business bank account") it would amount to double transactions.
However, regarding your suggestion below, I really have set up my Chart of Accounts, customers, vendors and Lists already and (I think) they are for the most part OK. See rusty3200's suggestion.
rusty3200: is this your impression as well? that I need only to re-enter the amounts of checks, bills, etc. with the current lists, chart of accounts, vendors, etc.?
Thanks again very much! I am running all this by my accountant as well and I think he concurs.
RobJoy, thanks as well.
One last question (for now): if I "enter" undeposited funds into the "business checking account", and I have also recreated my checkbook (paper) register in my checkbook, does that "deposit" from undeposited funds to business checking account alter the check register automatically? I think this is an area that I don't understand well.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 AM

Yes, that's right.

The bank account mostly gets updated as a result of other things happening.

The sequence from sale to money is like this (debit then credit):

Invoice: A/R and Income
Payment received: Undeposited funds and A/R
Make Deposit: Bank and Undeposited Funds

From purchases to money is:
Bill: Purchases/expenses and A/P
Bill Payments: A/P and bank

Then there'll be an occasional check for things you can't get on credit - that skips straight from Purchases/expenses to bank. You'll probably record standing orders and direct debits out by using the Check function too.

Mostly that covers the bank apart from bank charges, interest, the notorious refunds from suppliers and other oddments. So there's usually very little for you to do by starting from the bank.
Accounting and bookkeeping support, QuickBooks Pro Advisor
Home and small business computer services in Northampton, UK
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 AM

Karl's correct about the Archive & Condense feature to remove all the transactions. I had forgotten about it. It's easier than starting a new file and exporting and importing the Lists since you're scrapping the data anyway.
Just remember to Invoice and then Receive Payments to Undeposited Funds BEFORE you record the bank deposits so you only get them in there once.
Look at the bright side. You got a lot of experience in data entry in the program. As long as it's a learning experience, it's all good!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:54 PM

wiping out check register

Thanks for all the help so far.
I just went through my reports. I have so many sales, and I recorded all the details for each one (name, date, check #, amount, merchandise sold). I don't have any records anywhere else anymore. I was wondering if it would be just possible to wipe out my bank check register records. then I could try and deposit all undeposited funds to the bank account, and go through my bank records to extract them from the other deposits. I am still very confused. It all seems logical when I read the suggestions, but when I look at the reports there is so much that does not make sense.
I don't do invoices, I do Sales Receipts. I never have A/R (accounts receivable?), A/P (account payable?), direct debits; not sure what standing orders are.
I have another question that I will post separately. Thanks.