Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 10-27-2005, 04:52 PM

Payroll vs Service Items

What is the relationship between Payroll and Service items - I have been using Timesheets to track hours to a job along with service items to track type of work....(I do Journal Entries to get Labor burden dollars to jobs - grouped by type of work)

Now I will be using the QB payroll and want to continue using timesheets with service items.

I understand I have to set up Payroll items for each expense (COGS - both direct and indirect and admin expense). Now that I have actual dollars (not just hours) involved how are they distributed - based on the payroll item or the service item? I have a group of service items that relate to one GL account and another group that relates to another GL.

When entering Timesheets will I be able to use service items and payroll items on the same hours?

I'm just confused as to how this works.....I don't particularly want each paycheck to show exactly what jobs were worked on - that's not necessary - just the total hours. But I do want the job to show the actual payroll dollars.

Thanks for your help.

Julie
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 PM

When you use timesheets to charge the jobs the paystubs do not show all the job information. Just the total hours worked like any other check.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:06 AM

More payroll questions

OK - but what about -
I understand I have to set up Payroll items for each expense (COGS - both direct and indirect and admin expense). Now that I have actual dollars (not just hours) involved how are they distributed - based on the payroll item or the service item? I have a group of service items that relate to one GL account and another group that relates to another GL.

What happens if I use a payroll item that goes to Direct COGS and a service item that goes to Indirect COGS? (I know I shouldn't do that) - but what if?
I assume that to go to a job a service item will be required? ( I don't actually charge the customer for the hours - but do want to track the hours and dollars in the P&L for the job.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM

You're losing me with all the items. If you pay Johnny hourly and you have hourly and overtime hourly wages set to go to the Productive Labor CGS account, that is where you record his hours and select the customers/jobs when you record the timesheet.
The Invoice Items are also entered on the same lines for use when you invoice the customers. The Payroll Items reflect the CGS and the Invoice Items reflect the Income from the A/R. They're two different things.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 PM

service items

OK - so I DON'T have to use "Service Items" unless I'm actually going to invoice the customer for the hours.
The trouble is I use the Service items to track what kind of work was performed - for in-house knowledge only.... I like to know that we had so many hours in production labor, so much in supervisory labor etc.

Sorry for so many questions - just want to set it up correctly the first time.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Then you should have Production Hourly Rate and Production Overtime Hourly Rate and the Supervisory Hourly Rate and Administrative Hourly Rate (with corresponding Overtime Hourly Rates) that are linked to the expense or CGS accounts that you need. You can link each of these to the Customer/Job via the timesheets and it will appear on the Job cost reports.
All your hourly and salary payroll items link to whatever expense accounts you choose if you link them correctly.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks Joey - I appreciate your help.
Julie