Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM

Credit to Paid Invoice

I sold some equipment to my customer and invoiced them for it. They paid the invoice and then decided that they had ordered an incorrect item. They returned it to me and I issued a credit memo for the return.
How do I apply the credit in my deposits? The credit amounts show up in my "Apply Existing credits?" in my Customer Payment window, but I want to apply the credit to the original invoice, not any other job.
Thanks.

Last edited by lynter; 06-09-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Yopu can't apply a credit to a paid invoice. You can issue them a check or apply the credit to another open invoice.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM

Suzanne's correct. Think about it. If the original invoice is already paid, you would have to UNPAY it first, apply the credit memo, then repay the invoice. This would cause an overpayment in the amount of the credit memo that you would have to apply to a new invoice or refund to the customer. That is where you already are now. Just apply the credit to another invoice or refund the money.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:42 AM

I can't refund the money. They have sent me a check which covers several other invoices and have deducted the credit from that check. I can't apply the credit to open invoices because my books wouldn't balance. How can I post the deposit?
I just found this response on a previous post to someone else. Will this work?

"You can add it to your deposit, with the customer name in the Received from, Accounts Receivable in the From Account and the negative amount. This will take care of the credit balance on the customer account and reduce your CC deposit.

Last edited by lynter; 06-10-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:46 PM

You have several open invoices and a credit on the customer's account. You have a check for the invoices less the credit memo. On the Receive Payments screen, check off the all invoices being paid with the check and it will leave a balance due on the last invoice because the check is not enough money to pay them all. Then click on the Apply Existing Credits button and Set Credits and apply the existing credit to the invoice that is left and it will clear it out. Done. You're trying to fight with it and it's really not hard to do.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:42 PM

I must be dumb. It still will not work because the credit is a different job from the invoices that were paid. I went into my "Receive Payments", clicked on the invoices that were paid (for two seperate jobs), went into the next job where the credit was, and clicked on "Apply Credits". When I went into the "Make Deposit" screen, only the invoices I had selected were there.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Just change the credit memo to a job with an open balance and then apply it.
Or, go back to my original answer and UN do the original payment (after deleting the deposit that included it), applying the credit memo and then splitting the original payment between the two jobs and re-entering the deposit you deleted. You'll have to re-reconcile the deposit if you have already cleared it previously.

Last edited by Joey; 06-11-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:44 AM

If I remember correctly QB didn't let you go to the Customer to pull up all the jobs. I think you had to go to the individual job to apply the payment. That may why you are confused. Later editions let you go to the Customer and then Receive Payment to apply to any open jobs. Do what Joey says and change the credit to another open job & that should work. You can always make a note that the credit was from a certain job if you need to.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM

Thank you for all of your help. I finally fixed it. Joey, I almost put my laptop in the car and drove up to your office which about 10 minutes from me.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:20 AM

Cool

That would work also. Or you could just be lazy and e-mail it.