Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Forum

Old 04-28-2005, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy
Pro and basic on same file?

Hey guys and gals. I currently use quickbooks pro 2004. I have multi user capability.

I have fallen behind on my book keeping. I'm too busy focusing on my core business. I have interviewed a independant book keeper and I considering hiring this person to come in once a week and do the book keeping for me.

This book keeper won't need all the bells and whistles of pro, so I was considering buying basic. The question is this. Since I have pro and the book keepr basic... Do they play nice together?

[url=http://www.ReliableAmerican.us]Chicago Roofing[/url] [url=http://www.gutterexperts.com]Chicago Gutters[/url]
Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Yes, as long as they are the same version and in some cases the same release (I can't remember which releases weren't compatible with other releases), there is no problem.

However, the little extra money for the Pro version is well worth it just for the link to Excel. (In my humble opinion). Also, if you do payroll in QB, the payroll summaries in Excel are indispensible.

But you say you have multi user capability - but do you only have one license? If you happen to have the 5 user pack and she's comingi into your office, then you don't need to buy anything.
Minneapolis, MN

QuickBooks Advanced Certified ProAdvisor
Sleeter Group Certified QuickBooks Consultant
Peachtree Certified Consultant
Timeslips Certified Consultant
Fishbowl Inventory Authorized Reseller

Ask me about MiSys Manufacturing add-on for Quickbooks and Peachtree
Old 04-29-2005, 09:04 AM

Basic

What if the both want to work at the same time?. Will Basic run in multi-user mode?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:19 PM

multi-user

Pro or Premier is required for multi-use of the data files.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 AM

Lightbulb Basic/Pro

It sounds as though you may have "offsite" bookkeeping in mind. Depending on your particular needs, QBooks online is an option you may want to consider. This allows access to both of you from remote locations without having to transport company files. Online version does have limitations and you should explore the product before making any decision.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lisa_mn But you say you have multi user capability - but do you only have one license? If you happen to have the 5 user pack and she's comingi into your office, then you don't need to buy anything.
The book keeper will be coming to my office. I do not have the 5 user license, however I do have 5 user capability. When loading the copy of quickbooks I have on my current computer, on another computer on the LAN I am given a message basically saying I can't share serial no's.

[url=http://www.ReliableAmerican.us]Chicago Roofing[/url] [url=http://www.gutterexperts.com]Chicago Gutters[/url]
Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 AM

Re: multi-user

Quote:
Originally posted by tallman
Pro or Premier is required for multi-use of the data files.
Sounds like I have to buy another copy of Pro.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 AM

This is directed to Grumpy in reference to the original multi user statement. When you refer to multi-user, do you mean that you have more than one person from your company that is working in this file at the same time? Or do you mean that you work in the file and you also want to be able to give your bookkeeper a copy to work in at another computer and then give back to you?
Multi user means that you have more than one computer on a network that is linked into the same data file and used by several persons at the same time. It doesn't sound like that is what you are doing. When you purchase a multi user pack, it comes with three or five copies of the program and you install one on each computer in the network and they all can access the one data file. Is that what you purchased?