Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > Premier Nonprofit Edition Forum

Old 04-12-2005, 02:55 PM

setting up a church..

Hi all, need a quick jump start here. I bought the Premier Non-profit Ed. for my local church, small congrgation, about 150. Want to use quickbooks to record tithes, general/public offering, create maybe 3 or 4 sub-accounts for groups like (Jr. choir, Sr. choir, men's organization, sunday school) that will have there balance reflected in the main accounts receivable. A general recommendation on how to set up the members and the accounts would be appreciated. Thanks, Bobby..
Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 AM

Question

Wow, I must have asked an utterly ridiculous question or I didn't pay enough for a reply.. Thanks..
You may send me email offline to bobbylt@bellsouth.net with an answer.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Talking RE: Setting up a church..

Do you need to see a profit-and-loss statement for each sub-group (men's club, etc). If so, you may want to look at using classes to track these things.

Advantage to doing that is you can set up each family as a customer (if you want to get really fancy, set up each individual as a job underneath the customer).

As far as G/L accounts go, I'd probably go with the standard UCOA accounts that QB gives you and tweak them to your needs.

QuickBooks doesn't track classes on the balance sheet (not yet anyway) so everyone will be together in the same receivables account.

Hope that helps.
-Lou
http://www.yourcfo.net
Old 06-21-2005, 09:48 AM

Bobby, have you looked in the Sample company that is provided in your program yet? It is specifically for non-profits and also there is a lot of information in the Help Index.
Lou's answer was also correct..
Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Where we had fun in setting up a Church was how to handle some of the Income and expenditure. For instance, we had the Church reciving donations for a Missionery, then making a payment which included the donations and some from the Church funds. We decided to post both the Income and the Expenditure to the same Expense account. This then shows a minus expense when income is received, but only shows the Church's portion after the payment is made. We did this because it shows an over-inflated Income and expenditure if they are posted to sparate Incoem and expenditure accounts. It gave the impression that the Church had more Income than they actually got. (Had to explain to the members what a negative expense meant though).