Advertise here    

QuickBooks Forums      

Go Back   QuickBooks Forums > QuickBooks Software Support > QuickBooks Pro Forum

Old 04-08-2005, 11:06 AM

What's wrong with my QB???

Currently running QB Pro 2002 on Windows XP SP2.

Problems are too many to name. Files would randomly go corrupt, requiring a rebuild. I'm unable to close files, or backup, or open to other companies. Whenever I try it just jumps back to customer balance summary, and gives me an error msg such as "Your data has not been backed up".

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Oliver126; 04-08-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Your whole system sounds as if it may be in trouble. Do you have problems in other programs? Have you checked for viruses, adware, etc? Cleared internet temp files and defragged? Cleaned your registry? If this doesn't help, I suggest that you try uninstalling and re-installing QB.

Ken
Old 04-10-2005, 11:01 PM

That's the thing, this is a fresh install on a reformated drive. All updates installed, firewall and antivirus always kept updated, and once a week I run adaware, spyboy, cws killer, and hijack this. I've uninstalled and reinstalled QB twice already, each time it works fine for a week, maybe two, than gradually gets worse and worse until it reaches what I'm experiencing now.

Everything works fine, and performs exceptionally. Everything except for quickbooks 2002. Just in case someone asks, yes I do have a legit, paid for copy of quickbooks.

Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2005, 05:24 AM

Have you tried disabling your antivirus while running QB? The folks at QB told me to disable my Norton antivirus while downloading the upgrade from 2002 to 2005. Could it have something to do with software such as this?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Mine has the same problems - even on SP1. How big is your data file? Mine is over 300 meg and I've been told that's too big.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:59 AM

I don't run norton, and I do know about the fact nav conflicts with many programs. I'm actually using avg antivirus, and zone alarm pro firewall. I'll try as soon as I can to see if its a conflict with one of those apps.

I have multiple data files, each one is around 30mb - 60mb. Much smaller than BizCoach's but I still have problems.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:23 AM

When you have been running Spybot/adaware/etc is it finding stuff each week? If you are coming up clean each week then spyware is not the cause.

How much hard drive free space do you have? Have you defraged recently?

Are you having problems with any other program?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Most of the time it finds a couple, less than 5 most the time. I have over 30gb free, and there is only one partition on the system in question. I've never defragged since the last reformat (maybe 2 months ago at most).

I've tried QB on another system, similiar specs, with winxp pro sp2. The same thing happens. Is QB2002 just not compatiable with winxp?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:06 PM

Have you been into the log to see what it shows? Go to ...\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Pro\QBWIN.LOG and double click.

The log may well show what is going wrong. For example, I suppose that it is possible that you are doing something in QB that you shouldn't be, and the log may show what it is. (I've just been into my log and found a funny I'll be posting a question about if I can't resolve it myself.)

To find out if some other program is causing a conflict, the ideal, if it is possible from a practical point of view, would be to run QB on a computer with everything possible disabled, long enough to find out if this solves the problem. You would then re-enable programs until you find the one that conflicts.

Perhaps too you could borrow someone else's CD and see if your CD is possibly corrupted. The fact that you are having the same problem on two computers may point to a corrupt CD.

Would you consider upgrading? This may solve the problem too. I'm still on QB 2003 Pro UK but other users report many improvements over the past three years.

I don't believe that there is any conflict between QB 2002 and Windows XP, with or without SP2. If there were, we would have heard a lot about it on this website.

SP2 did however cause problems for many people when it first came out and you might find help on the MS website or a Windows users group.

Computer programs these days are so immensely complex that no-one really knows whether a program or upgrade is going to conflict with one of the thousands of other programs until users report conflicts. If you have any unusual programs, this may be an area worth looking at first by disabling these programs. The fact that you have the same problems on two computers may narrow the search because you need only check programs common to both computers.

I suspect that sometimes it is a combination of more than two programs that creates a conflict and if my suspicion is right this is going to be very difficult to track down.

Ken
Old 04-12-2005, 12:35 AM

SP2 can cause some problems, but doesn't sound like that is your case. Norton is a great program; as are the two you are using. It is very important to check the programs you are using for adware/spyware/virus, as it may be part of the issue.

Do you leave your computer on all the time? Is the problem any better if you reboot every day?

Have you performed a Scandisk and Defrag?

Has anything else changed on the system? You mentioned newly formatted drives, is there new hardware/software?

It may be that 2002 in general is the problem; but I would doubt that. SP2/QB's 2002 seem to work fine; however, any other program that doesn't 'like' SP 2 can cause problems with your QBs.

All of my computers are XP Pro, and 3 of the 4 are running SP2 with NIS. I had some issues with SP being a bit of a pain.... I have QB's 99 thru 2005 loaded; as well as POS 3 & 4 and Enterprise 4 & 5 and Simple Start. Are you running on a network? If so, the network may be creating your problem.

Keep us posted!
Rox :-)

Advanced Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor
Visit us at: www.qb4yahoostores.com
Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 AM

I'm not at the system in question right now, so I cannot check the log, but I will do so asap. I will also try running without any programs in the background. I doubt thats it though since avg and za are the only programs running constantly on these systems.

And, yes my system is on a network. Just a small office one though. Most of the time there are only 2 systems on the network. Sometimes the I will connect a laptop, so thats 3. The network is extremely simple, a 8 port switch, a dsl connection shared, and a printer on each system, both shared with each other.

The systems have both been reformatted but they haven't been upgraded software or hardware wise. They were both reformatted due to both becoming sluggish and bloated after gone almost 2 years since their last reformat.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 PM

My QB situation is only getting worse. QB now refuses to even close. When I try to exit, I see the hd light blink extremely quickly, and hear the hd going for about 5 seconds, and then QB remains open. Here is a copy of the lastest section of my QBWIN.log

QBW 29/04/2005 21:00:13

Report Axis - Number of Nodes Created: 27
QB-CPS Installer starting: C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Pro\Components\Payroll\PATCHSTAGING\CPS.DAT
QB-CPS Installer ending: C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Pro\Components\Payroll\PATCHSTAGING\CPS.DAT
QB-CPS Installer starting: C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Pro\Components\Payroll\STAGING10\CPS.DAT
QB-CPS Installer ending: C:\Program Files\QuickBooks Pro\Components\Payroll\STAGING10\CPS.DAT
Report Axis - Number of Nodes Created: 1
OAstdMethodRet (80042101)
V10.0D R8 (M=1098, L=2259, C=249, V=0 (0))

Yes, this system is left on all the time. But rebooting does nothing to help this problem. Even if I reboot, and don't run anything else, QB still exhibits these problems.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM

I've recently purchased QB 2005, but since my current version of QB is incapable of backing up data, is there any way to move data over for the new version?????
Old 05-18-2005, 02:58 PM

If the file is corrupt you don't want to use it. If it is OK you can open the file from it's location on the hard drive. QB2005 will convert the data file and you can't go back to an older program after conversion.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:16 PM

I used the setup's upgrade feature. Everything works (thank god), and all those problems I had with 2002 seem so have magically disappeared.